Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colossus . whoa...

[ May 09, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Ohenri ]

·
Registered
282 Posts
i think oHenri was referring to the size of the drive, not the speed. how many 80Gig firewire drives have you seen before? So h, are you gonna buy me one buddy?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The link that ohenri provided is to a slow 4200 rpm 80 gb internal drive (Capacity - up to 80 GB Rotational Speed - 4200 RPM Interface standard - ATA-6 Average seek time - 12.0 ms)

If you want to see some external Firewire drives, Here's a link to some FW/USB drives:

http://store.powerbook1.com/mcehigperexf.html

You can get FW drives up to 180 gb here.
(American dollars though)

EG:
MCE 180GB High-Performance Desktop FireWire & USB 2.0 Hard Drive
7200RPM, 8MB Cache

BTW, I just buy their stuff, I'm not affiliated with MCE.

David
:cool:

[ May 09, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whoa... I refering to the fact that it's a laptop drive. How any 80G drives have you seen in a lap?? No many. Ext FW? [lips flapping sound] I've seen the Lacie Big Disk They are kinda big... just kinda. But the laptop element is what I was trying to expose. ;) Who's gettin one??

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Faster rotational speed, Faster seek time and a larger cache means faster start up time.

It depends on what you want it for though, If you are just going to download mp3's from the net to a G4 then by all means get a slow drive, But if you are using a G3 and are doing labour intensive processing like animation or P.S. then get the faster h.d. with the shorter seek time and bigger cache.

My 2¢

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
ohenri wrote:
"whoa... I refering to the fact that it's a laptop drive. How any 80G drives have you seen in a lap?? No many. Ext FW? [lips flapping sound] I've seen the Lacie Big Disk They are kinda big... just kinda. But the laptop element is what I was trying to expose. Who's gettin one??"

I reply:
Yes I know exactly what you mean, But others have side tracked it to FW drives (Including myself), Why?...It's a mystery to me as well.

The laptop drive that you mentioned with the link in your original message is what I'm trying to talk about, That drive is only a 4200 rotational speed drive with a 12 m.s. seek time, Which is to me is nothing to boast about, Even if it is an 80 gb drive, I'd rather buy a 60 gb drive with better performance.

But then that just my opinion.
David

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dolawren - I;m with you on that. I have a 5400 in my Pismo, and a 4200 in the Tibook. The 5400 is way better - and hella quiet. I'll be looking to get a 40G+ 5400. Who will get it is the Q? ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
dolawren wrote:
The laptop drive that you mentioned with the link in your original message is what I'm trying to talk about, That drive is only a 4200 rotational speed drive with a 12 m.s. seek time, Which is to me is nothing to boast about, Even if it is an 80 gb drive, I'd rather buy a 60 gb drive with better performance.
Well rotational speed is not everything. The 80 gig Hitachi/IBM stacked up surprisingly well against the 60 gig 5400 rpm in this test over at Barefeats. That's with a smaller cache to boot. Note also the comments about how quiet the 80/4200 is comapred to the 60/5400.

In the end, you've got a comparable drive with 20 gigs more space.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts