Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing a while back that the Powerbook G5s were only suppose to be released around July/August of next year. Where did I get this information? Is it a fact or rumour type thing? I remember hearing somewhere that Steve jobs said only next year.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I'd have to say its still a rumour for now. I would think the hold up as of now would be how to scale down or even fit a G5 processor into a PB case and cool it at the same time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, it's theoretically possible if Apple/IBM did the following:

- Aluminum PowerBook chassis (like on 12/15" AlPBs) which helps with passive heat convection
- Magnesium-alloy internal frame assisted with heat-pipe technology; possibly assisted with small fluid-bearing fan/blower, and/or high-efficiency/low-power thermal-electric (peltier) cooler.
- Redesign of G5-Mobile chip: strip out half the L2 cache (reduces die size, cuts heat dissipation needs in half), and/or shift G5-Mobile to a 0.09u die-fabrication process, with lower voltage requirements.

We all know that IBM has some 'future generations' already in beta-silicon, and I'm hoping they have a 'G5-Mobile' in the works. However, shifting to a new die-fab process is an expensive thing which can take time to 'update' the fab for the new process. It's a huge step, and i'm not sure a Spring 2004 release is theoretically possible...

These are my thoughts.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, it's partly rumor and partly fact. I believe Steve Jobs did state that the G5 will not appear in a Powerbook any time soon and that they will be using a G4 (which still has some life left in it) in the Powerbook. What he meant by "any time soon" is anybody's guess. My guess is that the G5 won't appear in the Powerbook until it's using a 0.09u die-fabrication process.

·
Registered
223 Posts
C'mon

When we talk about upcoming Apple products, when is it EVER "fact".

:D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
M. Warren - When Apple themselves lets loose the specs ;)

Rick - its largely rumor and your best bet for following such rumors would be http://powerbook.macrumors.com which is an archive all the PowerBook rumors so far.

Kosh - Steve Jobs didn't say that. It was John Rubinstein. (You know the guy who keynoted MacWorld Creative Pro).

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Kosh - Steve Jobs didn't say that. It was John Rubinstein. (You know the guy who keynoted MacWorld Creative Pro).
Oops, and here I thought only Steve Jobs keynoted MacWorlds. :D

Yeah, I was having second thoughts after I stated that. I couldn't remember if it was Steve Jobs or another Apple guy. Thanks for the correction.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Kosh - Steve Jobs only keynotes when he wants to show something big, or its significant (eg. really cool new product release). He will be keynoting the Apple Expo in Paris, a week from today also. But in general, Apple said no G5s in the powerbooks anytime soon, but that was in June, and we don't know what soon means.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts