Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since recently buying a used powerbook g4, ive noticed a little issue thats been starting to get on my nerves. While running the laptop on battery, if i close the lid and leave it for several hours, i come back to find (what i consider) unacceptable drops in battery life. That is to say, if i close the pbook with 20% left on the battery at night, its not uncommon for me to return the next morning and get a "you are now running on reserve battery power etc" message within seconds (5-0% battery). So over the course of 8hrs its dropping roughly 15-20% when closed? I never experienced drops like that with my g3 ibook, which could stay closed for days and resume right where it left off with very little battery loss.
Anyways is this kind of thing normal for powerbooks or is there anything i could do to slow the burn?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Anyways is this kind of thing normal for powerbooks or is there anything i could do to slow the burn?
Before I got my MBP, I had a 12" Powerbook. I could leave it closed on battery power without much battery drain for a few hours, but I would never do so overnight without it being plugged in to the power adapter cord.

As for the answer to your question, plug it in or turn it off. Either solution will stop the battery drain.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
well during normal use, the battery seems fine, gives me 2.5 hrs easily. I was just just shocked to see it drain so much with the lid closed. Ill try resetting the pram though.
2.5 hours? Okay, the replacement reference was obviously very premature!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.