Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Hope you're enjoying the summer!

Anyway... recently, like yesterday, my internet slowed down so slow it was as slow as molasses, slower than dial-up but it functioned. This sucks because it took them a bloody month to get it to work at all. By the end of the night I had no connection at all, but my roommate did, although be it as slow as before.

Today, I disconnected her computer, and tried but again, nothing. I couldn't even see the router. Then I restarted my computer and everything was fine!

My computer info's in my siggy and I'm using a dlink router.

What do you think? Is my card going? Is this a glitch in having too many apps (no pro or 3rd party) open for too long???

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
DLink are notorious for dropped signals. I always found when I had the DI-604 I was restarting the router every couple of days because network performance was terrible.

I haven't had an issue since switching to the Airport Express (other than interference from other sources.).

Try changing the channel that the DLink broadcasts on, in case it's actually interference from other devices. Microwaves, Cordless phones, etc.. They can all wreak havoc on a wireless network as they run on the same 2.4Ghz Wireless Band.

HTH. :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vexel! I'll check into that as soon as I find out how (new to wireless).

How come my roommate can get it though? I didn't have to restart the router, just my computer... Just curious.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
I would chalk it up to different components. Some components may be susceptible to some forms of interference, while others aren't and vice versa.

I mean, it very well could be a hardware failure, I'm not ruling that out. I'm just saying that it could likely be something else as well.

How close are you in proximity to your router? (Mind you, that doesn't matter if it's radio interference, I've been 2 feet away and still had my connection drop because of the microwave.)

I've grown to learn that wireless can be very finicky.. if you can hard wire, it's a much better idea.. but, if you have to use wireless.. try using a channel that isn't saturated and use as little 2.4Ghz devices in your home as possible. (I went out and purchased 5.8Ghz phones a little after getting my airport express.)

Again, it might not be the routers fault either.. I've just known DLink to have terrible dropout records.. I've seen it a lot on many different machines.

If you find out how to change the channel that it's broadcasting on, let us know how it works out. :)

which Dlink router is it by the way?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I changed the channel no problem. That's working fine. But the person who gave me this DI-524 for free got it going for me and didn't set up any security. If I try, and click on 'apply' nothing happens. If I disable security and 'apply' it restarts the router. Strange eh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts