Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a idea of the performance of the new 867 TiBooks?
Do you think it would perform as well as the iMac 800 at most tasks
The hard disks are the same speed, the pb have the radeon 9000, so basically I want to know if I would be disappointed with the speed after using the G4 iMac for a year.
I really want a portable system that will run OSX.2 plus run well for 3 or 4 years.
I will be making a decision in late January, the new iMacs should make it harder to decide, if they bump the 17 iMac to a ghz.
So that's my quandry the Pook over the Imac, will it be a wise decison, it's the machine I must live with for 4 years.
comments anyone.
Mark

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Going from 800 MHz to 867 MHx (67 MHz difference) you would not see a difference. The G4 iMac is better in everyway, execpt speed and video speed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've had my G4 867mhz PowerBook for a week now and I love it. It's fast, light, quiet and the screen is beautiful. I'm using mine to run Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Quark 4 and 5, Dreamweaver MX, Acrobat 5, GoLive 6 and InDesign 2 under OS 9.2, plus some of those applications under OS X natively. (I bumped the RAM up to 768MB.) It's got the horsepower to be a completely mobile graphics workstation.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The PowerBook 867 (I'm writing on now) is considerably faster than the 800 Mhz iMac. This is totally because of the 1MB L3 cache the PowerBook has (and iMac lacks). It makes such a huge difference on Macs. I do Photoshop, GoLive, iMovie, iPhoto work on both machines. PowerBook is faster for sure.

I know peole who had 2 year old PowerMac 667's with 1MB L3 cache buy a 800 MHZ iMac thinking they were upgrading on speed. They've since sold the iMacs as they were actually slower and bought used 800 Mhz, 2MB L3 cache Quick Silvers... They tell me it just blows away the iMac. This is with Photoshop, InDesign etc... And they are also into gaming.

I also use a 933 PowerMac with 2MB L3 cache. Just blows the iMacs and eMacs out of the water. (Not knocking the iMacs or eMacs... they're no slouches.)

Anyhoo, you for sure will not be disappointed with the 867. I think this laptop is near computing Nirvana for me. This one doesn't seem to get as hot as the previous 667 neither. I almost never hear the fan going. My 2¢. ;)

·
Premium Member
31,001 Posts
Mr. Mayor right on. :D
Apple really has justified the price on the Powerbooks as they are every bit true heavy lifters now the caching and bus and video has been addressed. While drive speed lacks a bit over desktops ( especially the WD 8 meg cache rockets) that can be easily addressed with a 3.5 external Firewire drive and will addressed internally with 16 meg cache Powerbook drives coming up.
The original 400 and 500 were ground breaking but a bit fragile. The 550 was a step backward with a tiny cache - the orginal 667 got the bus up but still a tiny cache.
When Apple moved to the L3 caches, better video and 133 bus across the board Powerbooks matured into truly awsome machines.
Apple also corrected a long standing problem and when you pay 20% more now you get 20% more. In the past the top end machines tended to have a hefty premium attached :rolleyes:
I don't think there is a weak spot in the entire Apple portable line up altho the 14' iMacs are over priced. Put an 1152 native resolution on that screen tho and you'd see a lot of movement to that model.
iMacs are NOT fast boxes and eMacs are not better but are cheaper.
But then that's not their target market. G4 533 will eat em both for lunch. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, that is encouraging.
I am very excited now that it looks like I should be able to get it in late January, then sell my flat imac to help out a little more with finances, so if anyone wants to buy it get in touch with me sometime soon.
Hey, get this, my friend wants to steer me to a pc siting faster, cheaper, more softeware etc.
I just dont find PC notebooks very compelling compared to the Powerbook in both hardware and software.
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts