Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of a 12" PB, and in anticipation of that event, I'm opening a thread for discussion.

I've spent the last half-hour going through the Macintouch reader's reports from those who have received their new baby, which is recommended reading for others.

Here are a few nuggets:

-> battery calibration is an absolutely vital first task to address the heat issue.
-> the AirPort Extreme card installation is easy... IF the antenna cable is long enough (seems some of them fall a few millmetres short)
-> with no DVI output (which I find rather odd, considering owners of small-screen portables would be more likely to buy Apple's external LCDs and therefore would want this connector), you're stuck with VGA monitors... unless you plop down $300 USD for this baby http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301
-> there are many reports of problems with CD/DVD discs being (a) stuck in the drive or (b) literally "gouged" by the drive mechanism.

Here's hoping that initial consumer feedback has resulted in fixes on the not-yet-shipped 'books (and here's hoping ours is one of those!).

M.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I didn't mention heat in my thread.
I spent about four hours installing, updating and restoring stuff on mine. The hard drive was chugging away constantly, and therefore the left side became very hot, almost uncomfortable. I was doing all this while draining and charging the battery for the calibration. Haven't done long sessions with heavy drive use since but I'll let you know if there are any heat problems. Hats off to your choice of computer
Hope you get it soon.

The PowerBook G4 12-inch manual is at Apple KB article #52079.

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, "we" meaning the prof I work for has ordered the 12" PB. I just get to set it up and play with it once in awhile (I figure the setup should take, oh.... a week? ;) )

As for a bag... yes, dammit, we have to get a bag. This fellow is deadly with laptops. He's been carrying around his Lombard in a non-padded faux leather open-top document bag, squished in with all of his manuscripts, etc. The infra-red port has been knocked out and lost, the PCMCIA eject button is now missing, and the back-left corner has a crack running right around it. And that's just the obvious stuff....

It's going to break my heart to hand the 12" over to him when the time comes... *sniff*

M.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
-> battery calibration is an absolutely vital first task to address the heat issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is battery calibration, and how do you do this?

I have not heard of this before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There' an Apple technote on this (don't have it handy) but the basic steps are:

1/ out of the box, plug in your powerbook and charge it completely.

2/ unplug and run it until it shuts itself down (play a DVD or something)

3/ plug it in, and charge it completely once more.

At the end of the 2nd charging cycle, the battery should be "calibrated" -- that is, the computer should know exactly how much "juice" it can / should hold, and at what point it can stop trying to charge it further.

I wonder, though, where this setting is kept... in some kind of EPROM or PRAM on the battery itself, or in the computer? And will a PRAM reset on the computer wipe that setting?

Hmmmmm.

M.

·
Registered
591 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
I wonder, though, where this setting is kept... in some kind of EPROM or PRAM on the battery itself, or in the computer? And will a PRAM reset on the computer wipe that setting?

Hmmmmm.

M.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder if John will marry Mary? or if Mary will marry John? What about John's baby? Will Mary want little Jimmie? OR will Jimmie want to be with Mary... Tune in next week as the Stomach turns... "

<roll music>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts