ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a powermac G5 as my main Mac. I am looking on craigslist and see that most are around 500 in my area and I would be getting a dual processor 2.0 GHz with whatever ram that would be in it I could easily upgrade I am wondering is it worth it I have not heard a bad thing about a one of these machines I read on one ad that if you are using this for home use it is complete overkill and I loved it. Anything I should know are these as good as they sound anything I should check for when buying what a good deal all info is appreciated I considered getting a Mac mini but its 300 more with less upgradability I realize it would be Intel and dual booting and all the great features it’s a possibility to get but I doubt it would be possible for me with my current financial status and I think the G5 is more powerful and can take more ram and better graphics capabilities I need help is it worth the extra 300

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Of course it totally depends on what you want to do with it, and what your expectations are regarding being current software-wise... but aside from that, the most logical advice is that you should probably just save up for an Intel Mac, rather than go with what is quickly becoming obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I loved my G5 Dual 2.0, but Apple is moving in a different (and better) direction and leaving the PPC behind.

Having said all that... if the price is really good (and $500.00 is too much imo) it's a machine that will perform very well for most tasks. But it may be virtually worthless by the time you're done with it.

I have a personal paranoia about 5 or 6 year old Mac towers... and that is that the power supplies tended to collect a lot of dust and gunk which can lead to a power supply failure. Even if you can locate a new power supply, they're a real b!tch to replace, and the cost of having the job done at a shop might be more than it's worth. I realize I'm being a bit negative, but it is a concern that I have with those early generation aluminum towers.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The PM G5 Dual 2.0 will certainly run your current software just fine, with enough RAm, and you can indeed put in wghatever Hard disks, optical disks or Video or other PCI cards you want.
But the newer Intel Macs are faster than any G5 Mac was, and you are stranded at 10.5.8 with the G5.
Which isn't horrible now, but in 3 years, I doubt any newer software will be made for it, it's less every year.

If you are tight for cash, then get it if it will work for your needs. But expect to be upgrading again in about 2 years.

I would be very leery of putting any money into upgrading an obsolete machine, however.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Great machines, we still have a few of them in service at the office. My only problem with them is that they are already unsupported and will not run the latest OS. I would think that you would get much better performance out of a refurb mac mini, which would definitely give you a longer lifespan.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I've been using a G5 dual 1.8 GHz as my main machine for a couple of years now. I really like it, and don't see any need to upgrade to a newer machine at this point.

On the other hand, $500 seems way too high for a private sale. As everyone else has said, these are old machines now, and they already can't run the latest operating system. To me, it only makes sense if the price reflects that. I'd say $300 would be the upper limit for a dual 2 GHz as a private sale. It would only be worth more from a reputable retailer with a warranty. These boxes will be reaching garage sale status next year, so don't get stuck paying too much for them now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Avoid the liquid cooled PowerMac G5. (2xdual core 2.5GHz, 2x2.7GHz, etc) Any liquid cooled G5 still functioning is probably starting to leak coolant, or will start soon. A coolant leak will kill the machine. Way too expensive to repair.

You should also think about getting a PCIe G5 vs a PCI-X G5. RAM the PCIe G5 are cheaper.

L

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
If you can get a used Mac Intel Mini Previous gen or refurb you will be paying around the same money and it will be faster than the G5. Graphics will not be dedicated but with the RAM maxed or even 4GB you will be fine. As far as expandability goes, finding a video card will be next to impossible as it is even difficult for me to find cards for my first gen Mac Pro tower. If you want to add eSATA cards and the like for external storage, then you are spending more money and you say your financial situation is such that even the G5 is pushing your budget so I wonder why expandability is an issue. At any rate the Minis have USB and Firewire ports for external expandability for storage purposes so you should be fine on that front with a Mini.

The G5s were great machines in their day, they are antiquated now and will only become more so and as already mentioned when time for you to upgrade zero resale value. So IMO a previous gen Mini is the way to go for best bang for your buck. My refurb MacIntel Mini 2009 Core 2 Duo 2.26GHZ was $540. They don't come up all that often in the refurb section but if you keep looking and act fast when they do you can snag a great little machine that will run circles around an old G5. Not to mention they are way quieter and run much, much cooler (unless you need a space heater as well ;) ).

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I'd also avoid the G5 and go with an Intel Mini (used or refurb as price is an issue), but many for current software, most (probably all?) new software moving forward is only likely to support intel now that Mac OS X 10.6 only supports intel...

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
The G5 Power Macs are probably within a few months of people giving them to someone that will use them versus sending to the recyclers. If we are talking a known lightly used machine I would say $250 tops. That will give you enough headroom to buy a second machine should the first one die.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There were some G5s which had issues with the Motherboards going which is not a cheap repair. I had a G5 that had both the motherboard and CPU go about a year ago and the cost of getting it fixed would have been over $1,000, we ended up getting an iMac to replace it. If I were you I would go with a Mini and not take the risk of the G5 dieing on you after a few months.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your imput it is all very apreciated sorry it took me so long to respond surprise camping trip I have a feeling I will be looking for a refurb intel miny and one know a online retailer that they have used most are american and expensive after shipping and currency chang thanks allot

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Just go to the Refurb section at Apple.ca. Canadian pricing. Go often and be patient... they aren't always there but keep trying and you will eventually find what you are looking for and when you do find what you are looking for don't hesitate... they don't last long. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just go to the Refurb section at Apple.ca. Canadian pricing. Go often and be patient... they aren't always there but keep trying and you will eventually find what you are looking for and when you do find what you are looking for don't hesitate... they don't last long. Good luck! :)
Thanks I did not know it changed

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok since this has now changed from a g5 to a intel mac mini I see allot of mac minis for 450-500 in my area that seems like what I want to save is this a good price One is a 2 ghz core duo and one is a 1.66 is the 1.66 a good speed faster than the g5 dual 2.0 ghz what should I look for like how much ram what kind of processor what everything thanks

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Go with the 2.0ghz, as that's a core2duo, while the 1.66 is a only a core duo (notice the lack of the '2').

Try to get a system with at least 2gb of ram if you'll be running snow leopard (although 1gb is the minimum, 2gb will run it more efficiently)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go with the 2.0ghz, as that's a core2duo, while the 1.66 is a only a core duo (notice the lack of the '2').

Try to get a system with at least 2gb of ram if you'll be running snow leopard (although 1gb is the minimum, 2gb will run it more efficiently)
good to know anyone know if you can get one of these running cs4

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
I recently sold my G5 2.0. It was a good machine, but I had hit the wall on it--more and more software that simply wouldn't run. The Intel Mini is the right choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts