ehMac banner

What would resonate with you most, to donate your used Mac to underprivileged people?

• If I got a tax write-off for full "street value" of used Mac

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • If I still got some payment for my used Mac (Say, 50% of "street value")

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Worry free disposal: If the Mac was picked up at my home or work

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • If I had Government approved assurance that data was completely wiped

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • If I was able to connect and see progress of individuals benefiting from them.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Other ideas? (Post details and thoughts below)

Votes: 5 10.6%
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,307 Posts
Five years ago I gave away a G3 desktop computer, monitor, printer, scanner and Syquest on craigslist because no charity would take it, even if I delivered. They wanted something as fast as my then-current computer or faster. Like Big DL, I'm just happy to see it used by anyone.

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Great feedback people. Still monitoring this thread and progressing with plans. Please continue to post any feedback, comments or ideas!

·
Premium Member
42,307 Posts
Y'know what would really work for me, EhMax? A deal whereby I could donate a piece of equipment and receive credit for a purchase at an Apple retailer. Even a small real-world credit would make it feel like instant gratification.

M

·
0 Posts
I have an older mac mini that is getting re-installed as I type and being setup for my nephew (10 years old). He's gonna love it!

·
Premium Member
42,307 Posts
Yep, most of mine gets passed down the pipe. Only rarely do I have a piece, like G5 tower, that gets orphaned.

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks again for feedback everyone.

Meeting some people tonight to talk about this project further. Feedback is very valuable.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Doing work for a charity, I can say that anything G4 or above would be of value. In the case of my scout troop we have a tag sale once a year and Macs always sell for a good amount. I think many nonprofits limit the Macs they take because they are use to dealing with windows boxes which louse their value vary fast. For educational use even G3s or older could do if they were loaded up with some software, internet access would not be necessary or wanted for the younger grades.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Because I selected "Other", I will post here that I would be happy if there was simply a place for me to drop-off and donate my old Apple gear, but I don't require free pick-up.
I'd be happy to deliver and drop-off myself.
(This probably reflects the fact that Ottawa is a small city, and distances here aren't as intimidating as in a sprawl city, like Toronto.)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts