Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lexmark laserprinter that I need to replace. All laserprinters I owned prevously, including the Lexmark, were postscript printers, but most of the new ones out now are not. I'm considering lower cost models like the HP 1300, two Brother models and a Samsung; none of which is postscript. I use the laserprinter mostly to print text and scientific graphs in OS X. Will I be sorry not to have the postscript? Any comments on postscript or these particular brands would be welcome.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm woefully ignorant on printer technology, but my undestanding is that PS printers are faster and do a better job. They also play nice with Adobe products.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
For your intended use Postscript is not necessary.

If you were a designer you would need a Postscript enabled printer to guarantee that your files would print properly on a printing press. That's an over simplification but basically it's all you really need to know.

Because I'm lazy I've copied this explanation of Postscript from somebody elses website:

"PostScript is a programming language optimized for printing graphics and text (whether on paper, film, or CRT is immaterial). In the jargon of the day, it is a page description language. It was introduced by Adobe in 1985 and first (to my knowledge) appeared in the Apple LaserWriter. The main purpose of PostScript was to provide a convenient language in which to describe images in a device independent manner. This device independence means that the image is described without reference to any specific device features (e.g. printer resolution) so that the same description could be used on any PostScript printer (say, a LaserWriter or a Linotron) without modification. In practice, some PostScript files do make assumptions about the target device (such as its resolution or the number of paper trays it has), but this is bad practice and limits portability"

hope this helps

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the laserprinter's I'm looking at advertise that they have PCL6 capability. I realize that Macs don't use PCL, but I wondered if there was some benefit to that, or whether having it is an indicator of quality?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts