Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger. I ordered one of the new 24" iMacs. And now the fear has set in. Did I make the right choices? Will it be fast enough for my uses? Will I be stuck with a dud or a lemon? Will I have dead pixels? Will Apple release Leopard early and I'll be just a couple of days shy of the "up-to-date" cut off?

Excited, nervous, and forced to wait a week or two is going to cause a lot of sleepless nights for me. Am I the only one who gets really nervous after a fairly big ($1000+) purchase?

A7

·
Registered
116 Posts
Normal reaction to a good decision.:)

the specific question of will it be fast enough is something only you can answer. A G5 iMac is still a very fast computer for most uses. Your new one is way faster. Unless you are doing something very specific that requires more power you should be fine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You are not alone. I am second-guessing my refurb'd Mac Mini purchase of $529 this morning. I was all hyped about the new iMacs and was ready to purchase one when I realized that many people who are more technorati than I am were not too impressed with the choice of screen and video card.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm glad I'm not alone!

psychodad: Yes, it is for a specific purpose (HD video editing and Motion graphics). But budget precludes me from getting a Mac Pro, and based on all my research, reviews, and benchmarks, it should be a decent upgrade for me. But I'm still nervous. :)

Mike: The screen and video card were also of concern to me. However, I'm hooking up an external 24" (matte) as my primary display, and using the iMac's glossy as a video monitor for my editing. And the video card is still up for debate, but it seems good for HD video and Motion graphics, so I should be happy. I'm sure it'll be faster than my current ATI 9600XT. :)

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you consider 31 young. :p

I remember paying $400 for a 100MB (yes, that's MEGABYTE) hard drive for my PC. I do remember the $6000+ systems. But that was when parents were paying for stuff, or when I was living at home. Hell, I probably wouldn't have been as nervous even a few years back when I had a good paying job. But now I'm a starving artist. And any big purchase freaks me out. :)

A7

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
If you consider 31 young. :p

I remember paying $400 for a 100MB (yes, that's MEGABYTE) hard drive for my PC. I do remember the $6000+ systems.
A7
I remember buying $400 40MB hard drives, and $1600 150MB hard drives (back when they were 5.25" and full height) for my Amiga. However, I'm still in the same boat as you on a new order. I just placed one minutes ago for a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac. It's replacing a perfectly good 20" intel iMac and I don't need the new one. I think I'm crazy, but the 24" screen, 2X bigger HD, FW800, Wireless N, more RAM, new Keyboard and free iLife 08 upgrade were calling just too hard. Also took advantage of the deal to get a cheaper .Mac renewal. It took me a week or so to pull the trigger. I kept debating different options including a 17" MBP and a Mac Pro. Both were too expensive though.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I had the same same jitters when I received my 30" Apple Cinema Display. I thought maybe it was too big and I should have bought the 23". I ended up keeping the 30" and loving it... and the Mac Pro it got hooked up to.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same jitters when I just pulled the trigger on my Mac Pro... I was in the market for the new Final Cut Studio 2 and started looking at upgrades for my PowerMac G5. Figured I might as well buy a whole new system... Heh... I can't wait until it comes to my door! I'm uber excited!

Sorry... back on-topic!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm on the fence, I was all ready to get the upper 20". Now the talk of the TN display and video card has me wondering if a refur 24" wouldn't be better. The most taxing thing I'll be doing is encodeing movies and shows for my ipod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.