Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
im possibly getting an emac. right now i have an AMD XP2100+ machine and after seeing Jaguar in action i say its time to move to apple...im taking this back to futureshop and getting the emac. can anyone tell me what to expect? i had a little old imac for a couple weeks until we had to sell it. didnt get used to macOS at all. winXP is crappy !!! any thoughts on emac?
thanks!
chris

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Go for the eMac!!! I love mine. I sold my G3 PowerBook not long ago (which was also running Jaguar perfectly) and bought the higher-end eMac. It is awesome!!!

I haven't had a single problem with it. The machine is stable, the monitor is beautiful and the high quality sound is mind-boggling when you consider the size of the speakers.

Hands down, it is the best value for the money in the Apple line at the moment (if you are on a budget). The 800MHz eMac is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the high-end 15" screen iMac (which only runs at 700MHz and has a smaller screen).

My only regret is that I didn't get more RAM. I have the standard 256 and I want more...so i intend to stick an additional 512 in at some point soon.

Other than that...this machine is wonderful!!!

if you have any other questions, fire away.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the high-end 15" screen iMac (which only runs at 700MHz.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, no. The 15" iMac with a Superdrive has a G4 800MHz.

James

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The eMac is a good machine, but if you're into gaming, you will notice it isn't so great. However, it runs Jaguar flawlessly with such a good G4 processor and a video card which can take advantage of Quartz Extreme.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moonsocket:
hi lars!
where in NB are you?
im in fredericton!
chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 15 km north of Fredericton, Douglas area. There's more EhMac'rs here then I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The eMac is a good machine, but if you're into gaming, you will notice it isn't so great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am really into gaming and the eMac has been flawless. What have you been playing to make you say that?

I play UT, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Aliens vs, Predator and Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix on my eMac and the gaming experience is wonderful.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Uh, no. The 15" iMac with a Superdrive has a G4 800MHz. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are right. Sorry about that. It was early when I wrote that first post. What I was trying to say is that for the exact same price you can get the 800MHz eMac or a 700MHz 15" iMac. The 800MHz version is much more expensive...and you still have a smaller monitor than the eMac.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
And actually, as a point of interest, the price difference between the SuperDrive iMac 15" LCD and the SuperDrive eMac is ever narrowing.

The iMac 15" can be had as low as 2599 and the eMac is currently going for 2299.

--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The eMac is a good machine, but if you're into gaming, you will notice it isn't so great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am really into gaming and the eMac has been flawless. What have you been playing to make you say that?

I play UT, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Aliens vs, Predator and Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix on my eMac and the gaming experience is wonderful.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say that because of 2003 games expected and it's (eMac) Geforce 2 MX 32 MB video card. For the "hottest" Mac games coming out within the next year, the eMac falls short, especially as new 3D games are requiring a 64 MB video card at least if you really want to get the most of the game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts