Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

POLL! : Speaking of ipods....

• Screw those dumb buds! I use a third party earphone which are....

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you ipod users out there I'd like to know if you use the white buds that came with the ipod or if you are using third party earphones and what kind.

Please specify the brand/model of the third party earphones in your response.

I personally semi-grudgingly use the stock white buds. Just like the one button mouse...I am getting used to them

And for those of you that don't own one but want to view the results I have included that option for you :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Thanks for the fix Pamela!

I whole heartedly agree with: "Wahhhhh!!! I don't own an iPod yet!"

If people want to also add in there posts what accesories they use, it would be nice, but only so long as it doesn't hijack the thread.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem Chealion! I wouldn't want to leave anybody out!

I hope you soon get your ipod! They're Fantastic no matter WHICH earphones you use! :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pamela.... don't use those earbuds. (Well.. unless Apple changed them since the 2nd gen iPods). The high end of the music is cut off.

I just purchased some Sennheiser headphones and it's night and day better than those earbuds (or even a pair of Sony earphones) were. The base is booming and the voices are sharp.

Just my .002.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I use a pair of Sony MDR-NC-11 buds (see this site for details). They wedge into your ear canal and the noise cancelling circuitry rescues about 10 dB of background. My only complaint is that the wires are a bit fiddly and that I have to remember to carry a couple of spare AAA's when I'm travelling. They work wonders in an ambient noise environment such as a bus, airplane, train, kids room.....

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Since there's no option for mulitple headphones, I put "third party" as my answer.

The white earbuds aren't that bad. However, the best buds I have ever used are the Sony 888s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Koss PortaPro Collapsible Headphones.

Bass is amazing, the headphones are lightweight/collapsable, etc. They are wicked.

Darren

[ November 25, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: network23canada ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bang & Olufson A4's A little pricey but much, much better than the stock earphones. Getting good headphones really improves the iPod's sound.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Waahhh! :(

I, too, would like to own an ipod. Stereo headphones of any description are quite useless to me, however, because of one deaf ear. Can anyone suggest a good mono alternative? Once I solve this, an iPod will follow. :(

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
N23C, I feel you on the Koss e/p. I like those, although I have a hella cheap model right now.

I hate the buds - in general - They do not fit all folks well, and on top of that, I don't find that they all deliver proper sound.

What I am trying to get my hands on the next time that I cross the border, is a discontinued pair from SONY: NC 20. On of the best sets ever (and I have owned many) - style, comfort, sound... do a search for a good look @ them, Awesome!

H!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I love and swear by my Grado 225's. Without a headphone amp you won't get better phones, unless of course you are lucky enough to own a set of Grado RS-1's.

They only draw back is, all I want to listen to now are AIFF's.

I have my cans on right now. :D

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Timely thread for a new iPod owner, I got the 20G last Thursday. I find the stock earphones begin to hurt after a short...very short, period of usage. I'll be checking out the recommendations...thanks.

Yo! Network23...fix that long link of yours, it's stretching the thread. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apparently, from what I've read, Etymotic ear buds are suppose to be absolutely fabulous. These are isolation earphones that go right in your ear (not for everyone).The pair I was looking at was around $300 US. I was tempted but the price scared me away. Google Etymotic and you'll get lots of reviews.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
I agree that the buds are a pain. They are awkward to handle and there is the "tangle" factor. I just use the Koss earphones that came free when I upgraded to Toast 6.
Cheers,

·
Registered
158 Posts
I gave up on the ear buds on day one and bought Sony MDR-G72 headphones. Great sound for about $50 at Bay Bloor Radio, extremely comfortable -- the bit that connects the cans goes around the back of your head instead of over the top -- and they fold up for easy storage in hip pouch.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it seems that one day into the poll that the apple ear buds are edging out the third party earphones 15 to 12!

(and sadly about 1/3 of the people that voted don't even have an ipod yet :( Here's to hoping Santa is good to you guys this year ;) )

I'd actually like to hear from the people that use the apple ear buds as to why the haven't switched.

Anyone want to comment?

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I bought my wife a used iPod which did not include the buds. Fortunately, last christmas I got her a set of JVC collapsible headphones. They are comfortable, sound decent and weren't too expensive at around $70. I would like something similiar for myself.

Unfortunately, the left unit keeps cutting out due to a wire short just inside the can. Time for a new pair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.