41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
And back to the heart of the subject, which is cops behaving like thugs. Is it steroids, amphetamines, or just old fashioned government terrorism at the root of this.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-asheville-cop-arraigned-on-charges-he-beat-man-over-jaywalking/

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- A former North Carolina police officer facing criminal charges after body camera footage appears to show him beating a man suspected of jaywalking was arraigned in Buncombe County court Friday, reports CBS affiliate WSPA.

Ex-Asheville Police Department officer Christopher William Hickman was charged late Thursday with assault by strangulation, assault inflicting serious injury, and communication threats following controversy in the wake of the August video leak to the Asheville Citizen Times. In the body camera footage, Hickman can be seen beating and tasing 33-year-old Johnnie Rush after he was stopped for jaywalking on August 24, 2017.

The Asheville Police chief put Hickman on desk duty immediately following the beating last August, and he resigned from the force in January after an internal investigation determined he should be fired. Still, the case remained a secret until the recording was leaked to the local newspaper and published last week, sparking community outrage. People there want to know why his arrest took so long when the incident is on tape, reports CBS News' Mark Strassmann. The FBI is now investigating.
Even though jaywalking is not an arrestable offense Cops on both sides of the Untied State of America are obviously convinced it is.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/art...ed-unconscious-and-arrested-over-alleged.html
Lamestream version here:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/76-year-old-deaf-woman-sues-Alameda-County-13159009.php

Jin and Corvello first encountered each other on the morning of July 21, 2017, when Jin was out shopping for groceries. The lawsuit claims that Corvello began yelling at Jin while she was allegedly jaywalking, but because Jin is “profoundly deaf” she couldn’t hear or understand his commands.
As Corvello moved closer to her, the suit alleges, Jin pointed to her ear with one hand and waved her hand back and forth with the other to signal that she was deaf.
“Despite recognizing that Mrs. Jin could not hear or understand him, Officer Corvello made no attempts to effectively communicate with Mrs. Jin at any point before or during her arrest,” the suit states.

Within minutes of Corvello watching an elderly deaf woman cross the road with her groceries, Jin found herself surrounded by police — for jaywalking. As officers arrived, they searched Jin and all of her groceries. During the search, Jin produced her California identification card, disabled senior citizen bus pass, and a handwritten card with the name and phone number of Jin’s daughter for emergencies.

According to the lawsuit, Jin was terrified and begged the cops not to hurt her but this was to no avail.

“Mrs. Jin was terrified, but at no point did she resist arrest or attempt to flee, nor could she due to her age and disabilities,” the complaint states. Jin prayed and repeatedly bowed in front of Corvello “in order to beg … for mercy and not to hurt her.”

However, according to the suit, Corvello was having nothing of it. This elderly deaf woman had been caught jaywalking so he was going to take her down.

According to the suit, Corvello then attacked the 76-year-old deaf woman and slammed her to the ground. He then put his boot on her back as she was handcuffed. The trauma was so rough for Jin that she passed out.

The suit alleges multiple violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, negligence, and deprivation of Jin’s civil rights.

According to the lawsuit, Jin was given a citation for jaywalking and resisting arrest. However, none of this paperwork exists and no charges were filed, the suit says.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Police Taser 87-Year-Old Woman Snipping Dandelions For A Salad; Police Chief Defends

An 87-year-old grandmother who was using a knife to snip dandelions for a salad was tasered in the chest by police — and the chief of police defends the use of force.

Martha Al-Bishara was clipping the weeds last Friday in the woods by her home in rural Georgia, about 80 miles north of Atlanta. That's when an employee at a nearby Boys and Girls Club called 911 to tell police that a woman was walking around with a knife.

"She's old so she can't get around too well, but ... " the employee said on the 911 recording, according to Fox News. "Looks like she's walking around looking for something, like, vegetation to cut down or something. There's a bag, too."
More:

Etheridge told WTVC that police used the "lowest use of force" they could. "An 87-year-old woman with a knife still has the ability to hurt an officer," he said. "In my opinion, it was the lowest use of force we could have used to simply stop that threat at the time."
What a crock...

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Meanwhile in Oklahoma not even your kids are safe.
https://www.kxii.com/content/news/O...-Co-officer-involved-shooting--509126031.html
Hill spoke to News 12 minutes before heading to Children's Hospital at Saint Francis in Tulsa to see her injured children.

"My 4-year-old daughter was shot in the head, and she has a bullet in her brain. And my 5-year-old has a skull fracture, my 1-year-old baby has gun shot wounds on her face and my 2-year-old child wasn't touched with any bullets," said Hill.
The po lice seem rather proud of the fact that they missed one of the kids entirely.
"I don't know what these injuries are. And then one child, from what I understand was not injured," said Virden.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Meanwhile in Oklahoma not even your kids are safe.
https://www.kxii.com/content/news/O...-Co-officer-involved-shooting--509126031.html

The po lice seem rather proud of the fact that they missed one of the kids entirely.
Sounds like the kids are not even safe with their parents who put them in this position

taken from the linked article:

"Smith was wanted for the April 11 armed robbery of the Hugo Pizza Hut.

"As they tried to approach the suspect, there was an incident that happened. An officer involved shooting took place," said OSBI Spokeswoman Jenny Virden.

Police say Smith was inside of a pickup with four children.

Officers say as he tried to get away he put the truck in reverse and hit one officer."

Now I would not say the shootings were justified, but using a vehicle as a weapon is certainly no way of keeping them safe when avoiding the law. The guy was also wanted for armed robbery so he would be dealt with much more caution by any officer fearing he might be armed and dangerous. If he truly cared about his children's well being he would be making some seriously different life choices.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Sounds like the kids are not even safe with their parents who put them in this position

taken from the linked article:

"Smith was wanted for the April 11 armed robbery of the Hugo Pizza Hut.

"As they tried to approach the suspect, there was an incident that happened. An officer involved shooting took place," said OSBI Spokeswoman Jenny Virden.

Police say Smith was inside of a pickup with four children.

Officers say as he tried to get away he put the truck in reverse and hit one officer."

Now I would not say the shootings were justified, but using a vehicle as a weapon is certainly no way of keeping them safe when avoiding the law. The guy was also wanted for armed robbery so he would be dealt with much more caution by any officer fearing he might be armed and dangerous. If he truly cared about his children's well being he would be making some seriously different life choices.
It's a fairly sound guess the intended target was a piece of 5#it. Even so, a very basic part of firearms training is knowing what is close to and behind your intended target. The officer(s) by just spraying bullets at their intended target failed not only basic marksmanship, but were also completely oblivious to the possible presence of the kids.

If they knew who he was, then it is not a big stretch to suggest they should have known he might have kids in tow and hold off making an arrest until he was isolated.

Beyond that being wanted for armed robbery does not make someone guilty of the same. He may well be the culprit, but if that little girl proves to have suffered serious brain damage, will the officer who fired the shot be footing the bill for all of the increased costs associated with a brain damaged child and adult?

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
It's a fairly sound guess the intended target was a piece of 5#it. Even so, a very basic part of firearms training is knowing what is close to and behind your intended target. The officer(s) by just spraying bullets at their intended target failed not only basic marksmanship, but were also completely oblivious to the possible presence of the kids.

If they knew who he was, then it is not a big stretch to suggest they should have known he might have kids in tow and hold off making an arrest until he was isolated.

Beyond that being wanted for armed robbery does not make someone guilty of the same. He may well be the culprit, but if that little girl proves to have suffered serious brain damage, will the officer who fired the shot be footing the bill for all of the increased costs associated with a brain damaged child and adult?
I agree, just mentioned because I do not think it is exactly black and white. Hard to say how anyone would respond if they were attacked by a vehicle even with proper training.

Was not clear from the article though if police shot first and then he reacted by attacking with the truck or if he attacked with the truck first, hitting an officer and then the bullets were fired.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I honestly could not have made this one up. It's absolutely mind boggling. Seems to me the settlement should have been a lot higher.

https://reason.com/2019/07/03/polic...-and-killing-her-dog-over-an-unpaid-gas-bill/

In the days leading up to the April 2014 raid, police—acting on a tip that gas and electrical service had been shut off—inspected the outside of Zorich's home, marking it as a "problem property." Zorich later called the county police to try and settle the "problem property" designation.

According to her lawsuit, Zorich had a testy exchange with one Robert Rinck, an officer assigned to the county's Problem Properties unit, during which she agreed to have code inspectors come look at the inside of her home. However, Zorich said she needed to speak with her husband first so that she could arrange a time when he could be there for the inspection as well.

"It's hard to imagine when anyone would run and get a search warrant and send in a SWAT team without first at least calling the homeowner and saying 'did you talk to your husband, let's arrange a time,'" says Dobson.

Yet that's exactly what happened. The next day Rinck requested and received a search warrant for her home. Within a few hours, police were kicking down Zorich's door.

Zorich's lawsuit claims that the SWAT raid on her home was completely unnecessary given that officers had felt safe inspecting the outside of her home just a few days ago, and that she had voluntarily agreed to open her door to county inspectors—negating the need for anyone to kick it down.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Much closer to home, someone needs to inform the RCMP that shooting gophers on rural properties is a normal activity. Hardly worthy of a SWAT response. The charges seem more intended to be an attempt to gloss over the Mounties over reaction, rather than having any basis in reality.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/prov...down/wcm/10e988b2-c38a-46f6-a5ae-8a9354207fa6

The Strathmore father of two is considering his legal options just days after he and his family endured a “high-risk arrest” by Mounties on a rural farm, after they’d responded to a complaint that shots had been fired at a neighbouring property.

At about 7:45 p.m. Sunday, Mounties in the town of 14,000 just east of Calgary said they were called for reports of shots fired and responded with “multiple RCMP members,” which quickly spiralled into a terrifying confrontation that left DeWolfe, his family and two friends shaken.

“I’m a guy with a young family. I teach piano for a living, I’m not a drug-dealing thug,” the 29-year-old told Postmedia on Wednesday.

“I thought they were going to kill my wife, my kids and I. Every time I close my eyes, I see a gun pointed at my head.”

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Much closer to home, someone needs to inform the RCMP that shooting gophers on rural properties is a normal activity. Hardly worthy of a SWAT response. The charges seem more intended to be an attempt to gloss over the Mounties over reaction, rather than having any basis in reality.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/prov...down/wcm/10e988b2-c38a-46f6-a5ae-8a9354207fa6
I think as soon as police get a reports of shots fired you get a heightened response from police which makes sense. I would think a few Mounties showing up though would be able to asses the situation though before calling in SWAT.

Some of it seems like he is exaggerating. He stated police were aiming at his head which I find hard to believe as police are trained to go for the biggest mass, not head shots like a Hollywood movie, sounds more exciting for sure though. I think the Mounties definitely need some training on interacting with people and having understanding and empathy. Unless there was stuff that we did not see or read about it should have been very easy for them to discern that there was no threat which should have de-escalated things immediately. I have no issue with them arriving alert with tactical vests and on the ready, but as soon as they see and asses the situation it should have taken a very different turn. I really hate when cops call people names as well, one of the quotes was the officer said "don't be a retard". There really is no place for that, and I think there is a severe lack of empathy in these officers.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think as soon as police get a reports of shots fired you get a heightened response from police which makes sense. I would think a few Mounties showing up though would be able to asses the situation though before calling in SWAT.

Some of it seems like he is exaggerating. He stated police were aiming at his head which I find hard to believe as police are trained to go for the biggest mass, not head shots like a Hollywood movie, sounds more exciting for sure though. I think the Mounties definitely need some training on interacting with people and having understanding and empathy. Unless there was stuff that we did not see or read about it should have been very easy for them to discern that there was no threat which should have de-escalated things immediately. I have no issue with them arriving alert with tactical vests and on the ready, but as soon as they see and asses the situation it should have taken a very different turn. I really hate when cops call people names as well, one of the quotes was the officer said "don't be a retard". There really is no place for that, and I think there is a severe lack of empathy in these officers.
I actually have a somewhat related personal experience. I was splitting stove wood (the hard way) and saw a single Mountie driving up my lane. I walked over and we had a very brief and polite conversation where he explained he'd received reports of gunshots. We both had a good laugh and he headed off to reassure a neighbour with dementia that all was well. They certainly did not send in a SWAT team or arrive with weapons in hand.

Long story short, fire crackers, cap guns or even splitting dry pine can all sound like gun shots.

To me the story smacks of poor or maybe inappropriate training. For every incident where a SWAT response is needed, there has to be hundreds or even thousands that are better handled without resorting to nuclear hammers. I am beginning to think that sometimes SWAT teams are sent out more or less to relieve boredom.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Must be that time of year. The mom should be asking for a lot more than $50,000.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Mom-they-shot-me-Unarmed-12-year-old-maimed-14292681.php

The bullet left Amir's kneecap in pieces. Surgeons attempted to put the bone back together, but fragments are still missing. A few days after surgery, Amir's wound became infected, landing him in the hospital for a second time, his family alleged. Doctors say the boy won't be able to play sports again and "will have difficulty walking and running for the rest of his life," according to the lawsuit. "Intensive physical therapy" is expected to go on for months and additional surgeries may be needed, the suit said.

Amir and his brother Eric have also been traumatized by the incident, according to the complaint. Both boys now have trouble sleeping and suffer from recurring nightmares, and are believed to be showing signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, the lawsuit claimed.

All of this could have been avoided if the officer hadn't allegedly pointed his gun at Amir, Hofeld told The Washington Post. He added that the officer was "reckless and didn't take precautions with the 12-year-old child."
EDIT: Not sure what the "allegedly pointed his gun..." crap is about. He kneecapped the kid, which is almost impossible if he was not pointing the gun at him.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
https://www.seattlepi.com/news/crim...atally-shot-by-deputies-sue-King-14471121.php
he family of a 17-year-old Federal Way boy who was shot in the back and killed by King County sheriff's deputies has filed a federal lawsuit against the county, the three deputies involved and their supervisor.

Lawyers for the family of Mi'Chance Dunlap-Gittens filed the suit Thursday in U.S. District Court in Seattle, alleging that the January 2017 shooting was the outcome of a "recklessly supervised and unconstitutionally executed sting operation to seize a different teenager."

The suit says the deputies actually were looking for a different teen who was suspected of being the driver in a hit-and-run in Sammamish that killed Moises Radcliffe, the son of a Seattle police officer, after a confrontation.

As it turned out, neither Dunlap-Gittens or the other teen sought by deputies were involved in the hit-and-run. A 23-year-old woman eventually was arrested and sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison for that crime.
So it sounds like the cops set themselves up as judge, jury and executioner. Convicted the wrong person then polished off the debacle by executing someone else. I thought it said King County but maybe that was misspelled and should have been Keystone County.

Sorry but back shooters get zero sympathy from this corner.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Even those who love New Commie World Order should watch this video. When it hit a million views it was taken down and the officer fired. Making the rounds again but probably not long for youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzULI3D2NI

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Situation eerily similar to a recent RCMP related death in the CNP, the big difference being no earlier gunfire here in the Pass. Wonder if it will take that one 2 years to see some sort of resolution?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crim...ead/wcm/27bf40f2-72a5-4bed-b74e-d0ae095872c5/

For the first time, Alberta’s police watchdog has laid criminal charges against officers in connection with a fatal shooting incident.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) has charged two Mounties with criminal negligence causing death for the 2018 fatal shooting of Clayton Crawford near Whitecourt.

ASIRT was instructed to investigate the circumstances surrounding the July 3, 2018 shooting. The night before, police were called to a residence in Valhalla Centre, where unknown gunmen entered the home and shot at the people inside.

Police said a 31-year-old man fled the home in what police have described as a distinctive vehicle. When officers began investigating the case, they sought the man in the vehicle as a witness and possible intended victim.

On July 3, an off-duty officer thought he saw the vehicle at a Chickadee Creek rest stop, west of Whitecourt, and relayed the information to nearby RCMP officers.

“Officers attended the location and found the vehicle parked with what appeared to be one occupant asleep in the reclined driver’s seat,” said ASIRT executive director Susan Hughson.

“The officers approached the vehicle and a confrontation occurred, during which the vehicle was placed into motion.”

One officer shot at the vehicle with their service pistol while another fired a shot from a long-barrel carbine rifle. The truck then rolled across the highway and into a ditch.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The similar incident to which I referred:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6539983/asirt-blairmore-rcmp-fatal-shooting-alberta/
RCMP said at around 5 p.m., two officers tried to stop a vehicle in the parking lot of the Home Hardware in the town in the Crowsnest Pass in southwestern Alberta.

“A confrontation occurred which resulted in the discharge of service pistols,” the RCMP said in a media release late Tuesday.

“The vehicle travelled a short distance and then entered a ditch.”

A statement released by ASIRT on Wednesday said RCMP found the driver to have sustained gunshot wounds.

Officers provided first aid to the man until EMS arrived.

The two Mounties involved were not injured, however EMS pronounced the man dead on scene.

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Cuba is a police state masquerading as a country, yet you have no problem with it.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts