Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone!
So I purchased a Maxtor One Touch 4 , 649 GB external hd.
I transferred all my folders with photos over the the ex. hd and deleted them off my ibook.
My prob is the harddrive space didnt increase.
Im not that familiar with macs and thankfully have had no probs to deal with, so maybe im missing something here

iBook G4
1GB DDR SDRAM
OS X 10.4.11

Capacity : 55.77 GB
Available: 16.56 GB

!!!!!

Also I didnt partition the ex. hd.... should I? And if so could someone please tell me what steps I should take?

Thanks so much in Advance!
:)

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
Logging out then back in should refresh your HD readings, or click once on the HD icon and go to File>Get info. This will give you an up to date value.

Note: your photos may also be incorporated into your iPhoto data base unless you toggled off the "Copy photos to iPhoto" option.

How big was your photos folder?

Whether or not to partition the external depends on how you use it. I like one partition for data, one for a bootable clone of the main HD. I also like a third again a bootable clone to test various updates before installing to my main HD. I strongly suspect you will get a lot of different opinions here. Go with what seems to most closely matches your own usage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies....
Yes I did empty the trash, and also logged out and its the same.
I dont understand what I have thats taking so much space.There are no movies, mp3's.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
You should download Grand Perspective, and see what is chewing up the drive space...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for recommending GP.
I did find some iMovie projects as well as some email drafts that had attached some photos.
I now have 27.17 gb free

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I dont understand what I have thats taking so much space.There are no movies, mp3's.
This sounds like a job for ... GRAND PERSPECTIVE (whoosh)!

It's a free download. Open it, select your entire hard drive, go make a cuppa.

When you get back, see if there are any LARGE SOLID SQUARES in the map of your hard drive.

Mouse over them to see what those squares represent and how big they are. Let us know and we can advise if/how to get rid of them.

This app has saved my bacon So. Many. Times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replied to this last week but it wasnt posted..

Thanks for suggesting Grand Perspective...I used it and recovered some space...Im now at 26.7 gb free space.

:)

Thanks to all who replied!!!
~Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks for the replies....
Yes I did empty the trash, and also logged out and its the same.
On occasion you may have some invisible files in the trash. Put a small document in the trash and then empty the trash again. This may help and can't hurt. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.