Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got my hands on a Pismo after looking around for a good deal. I love it. Just about to change the HD on it, and will likely have it complement a new desktop that i will get my hands on. My challenge is that I know a Ti owner who's just about to get rid of his after hearing about the new prod line.

I love the Ti - do not get me wrong, but I hate the fact that it's so wide - and I've have not seen a good case for it yet. The one that I have for my Pismo is awesome! (neoprene/camouflage design). Is there a decent looking case that's not so bulky out there? I'm also scared of the fragile look of the unit/screen. If I bought this Ti - I would use it as the main/only unit, and skip the whole desktop need. But it *looks* so brittle... The Pismo has such a thick and rugged exterior. Like an armadillo... I love it.

Also, is anyone using the Bookendz docking station for the Ti?? Will be looking for one if I get it.

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Recently, I have been considering trading in my Pismo for a G4 Tower or Cube, and while checking out the used gear at my local Mac reseller I spotted a TiBook for sale. I asked him about it and he had this to say " A beautiful machine and the coolness factor can't be beat, but I recommend you keep your Pismo. It's more versatile and a LOT more rugged. "

He then showed me photos of two different TiBooks that had passed through his shop with a peculiar problem. Both had been picked up by the corner where the slot-loading drive is and in both cases the outer shell had deformed enough to make the slot into a slighlty banana shaped opening. Neither would accept discs after this mishandling.

The verdict? A really cool machine. Use both hands to pick it up. :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just a plus for the TiBook here (since I use one)...

It's actually QUITE rugged. Although the case might bend a little (and can be bent back), I've put mine through hell and back, and it keeps on ticking.

One thing you have to watch with older PowerBooks (versus newer ones) is that the backlighting on the LCDs tends to dim considerably after 2 or 3 years, leading to a yellowish cast on-screen. There's nothing wrong with the LCD - it's just the backlight burning out. And so far as I know, there's no way to fix the backlight without replaceing the whole screen. I know, because my Wallstreets have fallen prey to the "too dim" syndrome. Heck, even my TiBook is getting a might dimmer than when I first got it.

Also - the difference between a G3 and G4 processor, especially with Jaguar, is especially noticeable. If you're just using 9.2, it shouldn't be a big deal.

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I didn;t actually like the TiBooks myself until the 667/800 model line when they finally got a competitive graphics card/hard drive/update.

One bonus for all the digital video guys in the room is that the TiBooks FireWire controller is substantially improoved over that of the Pismo.
Even comparing my (now two generations old) 14" Son-Of-Pismo iBook to the Pismo the FW controller is far better. Far better as in it can sustain much higher transfer rates, as in more than the two ports on the Pismo combined.

The Pismo is nice (I personally believe it was Apple's best laptop design to date), but at this point I think the TiBook has won out for me, hand down.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
Recently, I have been considering trading in my Pismo for a G4 Tower or Cube, and while checking out the used gear at my local Mac reseller I spotted a TiBook for sale. I asked him about it and he had this to say " A beautiful machine and the coolness factor can't be beat, but I recommend you keep your Pismo. It's more versatile and a LOT more rugged. "

He then showed me photos of two different TiBooks that had passed through his shop with a peculiar problem. Both had been picked up by the corner where the slot-loading drive is and in both cases the outer shell had deformed enough to make the slot into a slighlty banana shaped opening. Neither would accept discs after this mishandling.

The verdict? A really cool machine. Use both hands to pick it up. :eek:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See... that's what i sorta fear. I got a laptop as I needed to get something to take on the road as my work is going to demand it. I just feat that something will happen to it - something that a Pismo will have handled easily. My other issue is that I have never owned a G4 yet. I was thinking of simply getting a tower to complement, but why if I can get a Ti? That's where a stand. And the unit that I'm looking at will still be under warranty etc... I'm really leaning towards it. But can it handle the traveling? [sighhh]

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Relax, Ohenri....LOTS of people are travelling with a TiBook and lovin it! I believe I saw a CNN team using one in Afghanistan during the recent festivities in that country. They go all over the world every day and are probably more rugged and reliable than most of the non-Apple laptops that are in the field.

I would use the following criteria if it were me:

Need the fastest, bestest most cool-looking laptop on the planet? Need a full warranty? Don't mind paying for it?

Then buy a TiBook.

Don't need the fastest? Using it for email or playing movies or just number crunching away from the office? Need a proven, rugged machine that doesn't cost as much as a new laptop?

Then buy the Pismo.

And if you like it a lot (most of us seem to) you can always max out the RAM to 1gig and get a G4 upgrade....and it STILL won't cost as much as a TiBook.

If you can find one for sale, that is. :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
Relax, Ohenri....LOTS of people are travelling with a TiBook and lovin it! I believe I saw a CNN team using one in Afghanistan during the recent festivities in that country. They go all over the world every day and are probably more rugged and reliable than most of the non-Apple laptops that are in the field.

I would use the following criteria if it were me:

Need the fastest, bestest most cool-looking laptop on the planet? Need a full warranty? Don't mind paying for it?

Then buy a TiBook.

Don't need the fastest? Using it for email or playing movies or just number crunching away from the office? Need a proven, rugged machine that doesn't cost as much as a new laptop?

Then buy the Pismo.

And if you like it a lot (most of us seem to) you can always max out the RAM to 1gig and get a G4 upgrade....and it STILL won't cost as much as a TiBook.

If you can find one for sale, that is. :cool:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

;)

War torn countries with the Ti?

I'm well and relaxed. Just a little perplexed at times. But, re: the G4 upgrade, do you know of any testimony? I've only heard of people who have wanted to do it - but never executed.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Yes, Ohenri...I would suspect that most news gathering services use TiBooks and they are probably over-represented in the nastier corners of this green earth.

I also think I may have found a link that has quite a few readers reports on the G4 upgrade for the Pismo. Just hope this link works (I checked it and it does)

web page for Pismo upgrades

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Ti travels (asleep) back and forth to work with me each day in a backpack either by bike or roller-skiing.

I have it in a padded sleeve that came with the pack (it happened to fit perfectly) and always make sure that I have the hinges "in" the sleeve as they are the most vulnerable spots. I have no problems with it.

The only thing I would suggest is an insert b/w the screen and the keyboard (i just use a half dozen sheets of plain paper but there are more exotic solutions). That way you avoid the screen scratches that almost always develop in Apple laptops (Pismos as well as Tis).

Is the Pismo more rugged than the Ti? Bottomline, IMHO, if you drop an unprotected Pismo or a Ti from 4 feet up onto a hard surface, you're probably £@#$ed, doesn't matter which one it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts