Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what the prob is, but my Piz is a little sluggish... like drunk. Not sure why. Got plenty of ram (576) and a speedy drive (5400), but it's been feeling a little slow of late. Is it the 400 Mhz that are that slow? I was just on my man's iBook (600) and it had so much pop, I blushed. whoa... just wondering...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fresh Jaguar re-installed a few weeks ago. That's why the more befuddling. Should I defrag that soon? Optimized? As in? Pls expound.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
In case you're not aware... as a UNIX-based OS, Mac OS X needs to have daily / weekly / monthly maintenance performed.

Out-of-the-box, OSX is configured to run the maintenance tasks at some ridiculous hour of the early morning when your laptop is not likely to be running.

Solution? Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and download MacJanitor (an application which you must consciously run) or Macaroni (a preference pane / background utility that activates as needed; this is my method) to perform those tasks when your laptop is up.

See my post in the Emergency room about another issue which _may_ be yours as well..

M.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so what exactly is taking place when I run these utilities?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Some are clearing cache files and logs, while some are simply making sure everything on your system is up to date with each other in order for it to run for long extended periods of time. You should be able to leave your Mac on for weeks at a time and not notice a slow down as the Mac will automatically run the various utilities. The GUI versions are there so you can perform these tasks when you want, and not have to deal with the terminal. Since the tasks are set to run when no one is using the computer (in the wee hours of the monring) they often don't get done, so running them will benefit your computer.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I used to have an imac 400 , an iBook 500 and since I jumped to the iBook 600 with the 16mb video there is a very significant improvement in OSX. I read somewhere that the 16mb video is about 33% better then the old 8mb ati. The video was the main reason I did not by a pismo. I like the pismo's better for the looks upgrades etc but the 8 mb video is what brings it down.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clockwork, I hear you dude, As much as I love my Pismo, I am looking around to see what I get and not lose too much on the value of my PB. I hear thatt hey may annouce some new iBooks which only means that the clock is tikcing on my unit. Really, really loving that 12" ALPB. I seem to be getting over the small screen. I can hook something else up to it @ home.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
What Apple should do is make a new pismo with 16 and 32mb video. Keep it with the same looks but make the video better. Guaranteed they could sell them like crazy. I like the pismo's looks better but the iBooks are cool as well.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Who knows, you may get your wish yet. The ibook is dying a slow death, but dying it is. The G3 processor has no use in a OSX world. It can't keep up with todays OS and programs.
I personally would like a new pismo type laptop as I think the ibook is ugly. Also, although people tell me zip disks and floppies are dead, I continually run into them when interacting with a few clients and their pc networks. Bring back the modules pleeeeaaaassseee. (it also makes it easier to replace/upgrade certain parts like cd drives)
The ibook is the last to be revised this year. New G4's this month and powerbooks in January. Also a retailer said that Apple had too many "books" out there and would be reducing its lineup to three. 12", 15", & 17" PBs only.
Sorry for the disorganized post, must have gotten sun stroke today.

Spring has sprung :D :D :D :D :D :D
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert:
Spring has sprung<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those in OS X:

System Preferences > Speech > Default Voice > Boing > Play

Enjoy :D

--

OK now for the serious stuff.

Here is my Third Party Utilities Folder:
DiskWarrior - For Optimizing
MacJanitor - PreBinding
Cache Out X - Cache Empty
SpeedMeUp Pro - Also Cache Empty
Cocktail or Xupport - For setting tweeked Prefs
Keychain First Aid - Apples Utility for checking Keychains
System Optimizer X 3.1.3 - jees I can't remember..?

Tweaking and Poaking and Proading keeps my Pismo fit.

And I also use Disk Utility when I boot from the Jaguar CD.

I love my Pismo, and I care for it too....

But I would love a 17" PB more ....

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Sounds like you are a traitor to the Pismo cause, Heart! :eek:

Although...I have to admit...those new 17" TiBooks are seriously droolworthy. :cool:

But I still love my Pismo. It's just such a FINE machine! :cool: :cool: :D

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Ohenri, I think the point is that the G3 will not be able to do justice to the upcoming versions of OSX. Not enough "uummpphh" for lack of a better technical term.
What sort of programs do you run on your laptop?
I think in the next few months there will be deals a plenty for you to upgrade.
Robert

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey... I too luv my Pismo - it makes the most sense for me. But I am looking @ the op to move upto a G4 soon. I will look into tweaking her in the next few weeks so that I can get it to seamingly run more smoothly.

Re: Robert's comments about the bloated lap lineup - I totally agree. There is tons to pick from esp when u you included the 2nd hand market. They need to stream line the current lineup. Only PBs? That may be a litle much - but I don't think they need a 14" iBook. Maybe just 1 12" with combo drive and call it a day. Anything past that, they jump into Tis/AlPB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be running PS7 et al as soon as I have the $$ to get my hands on them. I'm just about to go out to get InD 2. I might be moving to a 40 gig and will then partition the HD, because I will be getting into some light DV. I will then be running some iMovie3 to do the editing.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
you might want to ask in the trrading post about ID2. There are people who got it free with their mac purchases and don't really need it.
PS7 works great on a pismo. I just use it for light image correction and scanning work.
Illustrator 10 also does well by the pismo.
Wasn't there a problem with 40gig drives? Or was it just IBM 40gigs?
Robert

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were some issue with some of the IBMs. I actually posted the press release about a lawsuit. I need more room. Although I have yet to put a dent in my 20Gigs, but I will be messing with the video prod very soon. Just waiting for the green back fairy to come thru in the next week or so. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Ohenri, I recently purchased a firewire external drive for portable storage-20 gigs. Its fast and I can run it on my portable and tower. This might be a better solution as you have 2 machines. I bought it from Ron Whitney for a really good price.
Drop him a line and see what he's got. Also the drive can be upgraded a lot easier than a pismo. :D
Robert

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True. I don't expect that I will ever do some video editing on the go, but I might look at some of the ext Lacies that are on promo these days. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts