Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to upgrade mine to something real (I have the tiny 6G). Any recs? Looking at either Toshibas or the IBM Travelstars (but pricier). Will also be picking from the 5400s as much as possible. BTW, I just noticed IBM released their new colossal 80G HD. I don't veen want to know what the $$ will be. Nonetheless, recs anyone? And what about a retailer for installs? I'm in the GTA --> very downtown.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I'm interested in hearing any replies to this query as well. I have bought an external HD enclosure and will be doing DV editing, so I need a lot of drive space.

Macdoc, and others, seem to think that Western Digital is the drive to get right now. Not sure if that applies to an internal drive in a Pismo, or not.

A word of advice here....do NOT get rid of your stock drive until you have Jaguar up and running for several days and are happy with it. Two different Apple techs suggested that I reinstall the stock IBM Travelstar in my Pismo when Jaguar couldn't find the aftermarket Toshiba 20gig that the previous owner had installed.

Too bad I don't have the original. I could have been sailing along on OSX.2 by now....or have eliminated that as a problem with my install, at the very least. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I've seen, Toshiba, IBM and Fujitsu are the ones that I have heard mentioned for the Pismo.
I too am actually looking at some external drives for the same reason, but I need a little something for the PB. Likely looking for 20g+. So you're challenged by the Toshiba? Was looking to maybe get my hands on it... Which model do you have?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
I'm interested in hearing any replies to this query as well. I have bought an external HD enclosure and will be doing DV editing, so I need a lot of drive space.

Macdoc, and others, seem to think that Western Digital is the drive to get right now. Not sure if that applies to an internal drive in a Pismo, or not.

A word of advice here....do NOT get rid of your stock drive until you have Jaguar up and running for several days and are happy with it. Two different Apple techs suggested that I reinstall the stock IBM Travelstar in my Pismo when Jaguar couldn't find the aftermarket Toshiba 20gig that the previous owner had installed.

Too bad I don't have the original. I could have been sailing along on OSX.2 by now....or have eliminated that as a problem with my install, at the very least. :rolleyes:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got a 40 gig Fujitsu for $250 and it works great so far, and incredibly quiet. I have no idea if my hd is spinning and i love it. Easy install and like thay said, do not trash the old hd for at least a week or 2.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by puffin:
I just got a 40 gig Fujitsu for $250 and it works great so far, and incredibly quiet. I have no idea if my hd is spinning and i love it. Easy install and like thay said, do not trash the old hd for at least a week or 2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see. I'm assuming that this is the one. All is good so far?? I'm trying to make this unit as primed as possible for performance. So I will be looking @ 5400s 1st. But I love price - do I ever! And @ $250, that's hot.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Upgraded mine earlier this year.

it is also the Fujitsu 40GB. I paid a little more than $250, I think.

No problems at all and yes I would agree that it does run quieter that the original drive.

The original drive was a TOSHIBA MK1214GAP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, That is the Fujitsu drive, i went out on a limb and called pc medic of all places, and they beat the local mac shop by $200!!!!!!! They are a pc shop but they have stock and 3 year warranty.
I have no idea if its a chain but you could get a quote and beat down a local supplier.
Cheers,
puffin

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced my original 12GB IBM with a Fujitsu 30GB a bit more than year ago and have been quite pleased. It's somewhat quieter than the IBM. The IBM sits in a FireWire enclosure nearby, serving as a backup.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Looks like you caught the update train!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow...

This thread is nearly three years dated. :D

H!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts