Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the love that the Pismo has consistently received and even gained over the years, the rugged service that he has offered, has he met his match in the 12" PB? Maybe. I was contemplating gutting and upgrading mine during my next trip, to a G4 Chip and really give my Pismo that bullet proof sheild, but it now comes in a 12" version. I really think this is it. Said it b4, but I cannot get my mind off it. I may move my Pismo, may keep it/ not sure.
the 12" PB is like that new girl @ work/school who just comes in from outta town, with the slammin body, smile, and walks by leaving a trail of perfume leaving a cat more spellbound than Triumph (LOL!). Can't wait to get my hands on her. She's like that new girl in T3 - just killer.

Hey Macdoc, are you going to update that column of yours: iBook vs Pismo? Hmmmm... For some reason, I'm always calling the 12" PB an iBook when it's not. More like an iBook on creatine. But you may have to revise that written piece anyhow. :D.

Holla cha boy!

PS - maybe with all the $$ Apple will make, they can buy a stake in the Ottawa Sens! S.O.S. - Save Our Sens!!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
You still have the 14" screen issue. Having worked on both, I prefer (as do my eyes) the 14".
Also, we will have to see what kind of abuse these new puppys can take. Wish Apple would supply those test results. :D
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I have yet to reserve a decision.

CON:
Screen size is still a sticking point.

One of my big choices when purchasing the Pismo was the screen size over the then colourful iBooks.

PRO:
But the 12" Al has the external monitor support and support for dual monitors. Take it home and plug in the external LCD/CRT? Lots of Video ram 32MB to push them both along.

CON:
The 12" Al does lack the 1MB L3 Cache. The Cache does give the machine spunk.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah... abuse wise, i thought about it. But if their cases are anything like the iBooks, I'm in. The screen is a bit of an issue, so I am considering keeping my Pismo. But the speed bump is like the nectar of a juicy fruit... making me drool. And @ 12", this IS the true portable.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heart, I was thinking the same, but will the speed bump not nullify some of the cache shortcoming in the 12" PB? I couldbe wrong.... read something tre: that very topic a while back.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heart:
I have yet to reserve a decision.

CON:
The 12" Al does lack the 1MB L3 Cache. The Cache does give the machine spunk.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
993 Posts
I can't wait to see the new ads with Yao Ming and Mini-Mi; should be pretty entertaining. I have to admit that the new 12" PB looks pretty attractive because of its small size, light weight and power, but I have to wonder how much of a difference the weak-cache G4 867 would make on routine applications relative to a G3/400 with a 1 meg cache. I really do like the 14" display of the Pismo, and it is both rugged and reliable. I've seen 1024x768 on a 12" screen in the iBook, and it's hard on my eyes. However, I'm starting to need my glasses for computer-distance work and since they magnify, it may not be so bad. For now I'll keep an eye on the performance tests of the new PB and not do anything in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You should probably compare the 12"PB @ $1799.00 US with the PowerBook Titanium @ 2299.00 US

At $1799.00 US, you get:
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
867MHz PowerPC G4
No L3 Cache
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
Combo Drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go
32MB DDR video memory
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Bluetooth built-in
VGA & S-Video out

For $2299.00 US you get:
15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
867MHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
256MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/66
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
32MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Ready
Bluetooth optional
DVI & S-Video out

The differences are subtle. For the $500.00US difference, the TiBook has the Cache, Uses an ATI instead of an NVIDIA card (same VRAM size) has Gigabit Ethernet instead of 10/100. And screen size gives one resolution size more (1280x854).

Conversely, the new 12"-er has the AirPort Extreme capability and ATA/100 drive (instead of the TiBook ATA/66) as well as DDR RAM over SDRAM. It also has Bluetooth built in (instead of optional).

Both have S-Video Out, but the TiBook supports the DVI standard out of the box where as the new 12"-er has VGA. Also, some people like ATI over NVIDIA, and others favour NVIDIA over ATI.

Comparing the 12" and the 17" will just get me depressed. The price is double, but you get ALOT more with the 17" in nearly all respects.

:cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am in love with the 12 PB as are many off you. I am willing to bet that it will out sell the 17. I have not lusted after a machine as bad as I do after a 12 PB. And the greatest thing is, that is's afforadable! Not a rich mans machine only.

It may not have any L3 cache, but I am intrested is seeing how it preforms.

We wants, my precious.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Okay, having read a few threads on this topic, I would like to recap. (to see if I'm getting it right)
Pismo's won't run OSX.2 well. The video card isn't up to snuff.(?) Airport extreme is out. G3 chip doesn't work under X as well as 9. Certain machines can't even install X. The new iapps won't run in 9.
Have I missed/wrong about anything?
Roberet :(

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
???

I run a G3 in X (sounds like a concerto) as we speak. Nothing wrong with the units. Pismo will hit you with just a few limitations, that's all. The unit is a hot one, but there are some options out there, for sure. But there isn't much that the new units can do that the Pismo cannot - other than Airport Xtreme, and DVD -R (which could be ext, no??). If you get one in good shape, go for it. I expect some to come out the woods now that the new units are coming out... Best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts