Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The "mirrored door" G4's and the new "FireWire 800" G4's have the two full size bays. If you buy a machine with just the Combo drive, it would be nice to add a second drive at some point that can burn DVD's and use it with iDVD 3 and the rest of iLife.

Is there a 3rd party drive that will 100% work with iDVD 3? I heard the Pioneer A03 drive will do this? Is there a specific model you need? (Without installing any patches etc...)

Any links to the EXACT model and what the box looks like etc? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
(crawling out from under my rock)

Any Pioneer DVD-R drive will work from a logic point of view with the MDD G4 in Mac OS X if the drive is set to cable select, (If the drive isn't set to CS the iLife installer might not detect it and you will have to install it manually from the disc image) however you will encounter a problem with the retail drives in that they are to wide to eject from behind the propritary MDD CD bezels. So you will either have to remove the front door from the drive or file down the sides.

The LG GMA-4020B will also work although it isn't really that much less expensive than the Pioneer drives but it does support DVD-RAM.

There are patches out to support other drives, they are not really that big of a deal, but you won't nessisarly need them.

10.2.2 should have support for the 4x Pioneer DVR-A05\DVR-105 drives.

I see the villagers have their pitchforks ready, so I will now return to under my rock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First of all I can't comment on iDVD 3 as I only have iDVD 2. The retail Pioneer DVR-A05 DVD Writer I bought at Futureshop in Waterloo works fine with iDVD 2. This is also a 4X unit. I didn't need to flash it either.

A thread on this was originally posted in the Trading Post. My findings are on page 3.

Super Drive

I would figure that iDVD 3 isn't too different from 2 so it should still work.

-Ian

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I would get the DVR-105 (or A05, whichever is the OEM model, I can't remember) and install it in the top bay as the main drive on that ATA channel, with the Combo Drive in the bottom bay as the second drive.

I believe that the Pioneer 102, 103, 104 and 105 (or A02, A03, A04 and A05) are all supported.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I would echo Posterboy; install a second DVD-RW drive as master (top slot), which is where MacOS expects to find it. Swap the original drive to the bottom slot as slave.

No CD or DVD drive is fast enough to tax even an ATA-66 bus, so no worries there.

If you ever install a PCI ATA-133 card, use it for hard drives. You may well find that the original Apple HD bus (ATA-100 drive on ATA-100 bus) is faster than an ATA-133 drive on a PCI ATA-133 card, due to the overhead of the PCI bus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts