Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Pioneer DVR-A05??

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Urban_Legend 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

FutureShop is selling the Pioneer DVR-A05 DVD-R/RW drive. The final price is $299.99 Is the same as the Superdrive in Apple's computers? FutureShop says it is only for the PC (Windows) it doesn't mention anything about Mac compatibility. Does anyone know if you could use this on a Mac and in a G4 Sawtooth in replace of the DVD drive?

#2 ·
Tested this on a Quicksilver 867, and it worked fine. Has to be internal on IDE Master though. If you can, drop it on a PC first and flash it to the latest firmware version (2.10 I think).

Firmware allows the drive to support a larger variety of manufacturer's media, as well as some fixes for CD-RW compatibility etc.

#5 ·
i tried hooking these drives up in different confingurations through firewire. i couldn't get idvd to recognize it. internally, had no problems. it recognized the drive, but i didn't try burning. that was enough for me! that was with the 05 and 03.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.