Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently purchased a used eMac (1.0 Ghz PPC). The computer came with 256 mb of ram, and a CD drive. I added 1 gig of ram, and installed a Pioneer DVD-R/RW DVR-105. The RAM went in sweet, but, the drive will not read/write DVDs. It will read/write CDs.
The System Profiler is accurately identifying the drive, and says that it is enabled. When I insert a DVD, I here a "click" (another forum said this was the laser adjusting), then I hear spin, but then the DVD ejects. I checked the permissions, and repaired a few, but this made no difference.
Any suggestions?

Dissident_Priest

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Hello,
I recently purchased a used eMac (1.0 Ghz PPC). The computer came with 256 mb of ram, and a CD drive. I added 1 gig of ram, and installed a Pioneer DVD-R/RW DVR-105. The RAM went in sweet, but, the drive will not read/write DVDs. It will read/write CDs.
The System Profiler is accurately identifying the drive, and says that it is enabled. When I insert a DVD, I here a "click" (another forum said this was the laser adjusting), then I hear spin, but then the DVD ejects. I checked the permissions, and repaired a few, but this made no difference.
Any suggestions?

Dissident_Priest
Trash the drive and get a brand new one from a PC shop. Internal burners without software run around $35-40. Not difficult to install in an eMac. The current model appears to be DVR-116D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Money is not always an option

Trash the drive and get a brand new one from a PC shop. Internal burners without software run around $35-40. Not difficult to install in an eMac. The current model appears to be DVR-116D.
I was looking for a more "fixable" solution. Obviously they are easy to install; as my thread indicates I installed this one, however, I think this problem is related to something other than drive malfunction. Why? Because the drive works in my G4 Tower, and worked in the computer it came out of (another eMac, of a buddies). I have looked for firmware, but there is none, and the system profiler IS identifying it. The drive is labeled Apple, and is an O.E. drive.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Go to Staples and buy the $11 CD cleaner? Could just be a dirty lens on the laser.

The other thing it might be is the burning SW you are trying to use. I use toast which works fine with that model Pioneer drive. Or as mentioned go to a PC shop and pick up a new DVD drive last drives I bought from some older Macs were Pioneer DVR-115's.

In terms of doing the actual repair, it is NOT that simple as you have to pull apart the eMac which means, remove the memory door, the outer case, the inner shield, the CD drive. You'll also need hex head drivers due to the nice fancy screws Apple used on the case to keep the kiddies out.

At least you didn't have to replace the hard drive which could be even worse....

K

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent follow-up

First I want to thank you both for such prompt replies. It is very encouraging.
I will try the CD cleaner kit, I hope that is the problem.
I tried to burn using the Disk Utility (I have found this to be the most reliable for normal data burns, especially when things get "fritzy"), but I will try Toast as well. My major quandry is being caused by the fact that the drive responds ("click, and spin) but just won't read the DVDs. I would think the laser wouldn't "click" for adjustment if it had a dirty lense, nor do I think it would begin spinning, that's why I haven't tried a lense cleaner yet. I hope it does it. Even $40.00 can be tough these days.

The eMac does look a bit more involved when it comes to hard drive replacement, but ultimately I would rather sweat a little during infrequent repairs/replacements, than have it easy and be repairing/replacing all the time (yeah I'm looking at you Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc . . .).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really found a good forum here.

You haven't mentioned what version of the OS you are running, so I'll just mention that you might need the free Patchburn 4 to make the drive fully operable in Tiger or Panther. If you're running Leopard this information is moot.
I am running Tiger 10.4.11, and I did patchburn 4.

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
The Pioneer drives have a Master/Slave jumper. This need to be set to Master.

·
Premium Member
15,509 Posts
As chas_m mentioned, what version of the OS you are running would have helped.

So assuming all appropriate software is installed and the drive is configured properly, get a CD/DVD cleaner disk and some Dust Off or equivalent.

Try the Dust Off first and with the plastic extension tube inserted into the drive opening, give it a few really good blasts (NOT with the can upside down!!!) and move the plastic extension tube around a bit while doing so.

Hopefully that will clean any stuff off the lenses.

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips

I am using OS X 10.4.11

I have the drive set on master (I even tried the cable-select pin just in case)

I think it's just dirty, because now the CD read is getting jumpy. I am just going to cease using the drive until Friday when I can get a cleaner kit and other materials. I will definitely let you know how it turns out. Thank you again for all the great input!:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts