Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a continuation of my latest exploits: attempting to get a DVD burner. I did purchase the NEC ND1300A from Infonec, but it wasn't really working too well. No finder burn support was fine, but even Toast was having problems, and not software, because CDs were burning fine. Anyway, I returned it (withen my 7 days) and found that I was faced with a 15% restocking fee. I was not too happy about this. So, I noticed that they also had the Pioneer A06 in stock, and this is the one that Apple uses now right? Therefore perfect compatibility right? I made a deal with them that if I exchange and pay the difference for the Pioneer that they would waive the 15%. Fine. The Pioneer is a retail box (as opposed to the NEC which was OEM) so if it doesn't work, they won't allow me to return it without taking 15% for sure. Basically, I don't want to have to return anything again. Now, they still have an amazing price on the A06 at $335, so I still do want to buy it there. Now, while looking at the Pioneer box, I noticed that all the info was for Windows only, which is ok, since I that just because of the bundle package. However, I noticed that the model number was acutally DVR-A06U. I quick search on xlr8yourmac.com taught me that most people had A06D in their system, and I am assuming that this is the Apple default.

Now, heres the question: Does anyone know if there is a difference between the D and the U? Possibly the retail is U and OEM is D? But isn't the OEM 106? Is it just a different bundle? Import? Newer rev/firmware?

Future shop is selling the same (A06U), so it doesn't matter where I buy, just that infonec is about $120 cheaper. Does anyone have a A06? Is it a D or U? If there is even a difference.

Please, let me know, as this is starting to drive me mad. I know, you get what you pay for. I thought the NEC would do the same just for $85 less, but I guess not.

Advice please.
Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually, the 106/A06 is not yet used by Apple. (No multi-format drives are currently serving as Superdrives.)

Anyway, I checked the pioneer website and there seems to be no mention of the AO6D, perhaps it is the european or asian designation? Again this is purely speculation.

Btw, for some reason the A06 webpage shows a 17 inch studio lcd and a quicksilver powermac!

Perhaps they are hinting at compatability or just cruely teasing us.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/learn/about/chapters/0,,2076_51100_38791,00.html

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting...so this leads me to believe that the letter sufix makes no real difference, aside from country. As long as the acutal hardware is the same then, it should be ok.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Closed firmware? Does that mean that I can't update the firmware later?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts