1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
hmm - that would be nice for video-editing don't you think?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Or Mp3 hosting....

(just kidding....whoa. That's gotta be something).

I recall a story written by Arthur C. Clarke in which he told the tale of our efforts to build supercomputers and an "internet" which linked all computers together. What happened was the computers "awakening" as a unified conscious. We had created a neural net...a massive brain.

...and then the lights went out on humankind.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I recall a story written by Arthur C. Clarke in which he told the tale of our efforts to build supercomputers and an "internet" which linked all computers together. What happened was the computers "awakening" as a unified conscious. We had created a neural net...a massive brain.
...and then the lights went out on humankind.
You might be thinking about the "Colossus: series of books by D.F. Jones.

Colossus
Colossus and the Crab
The Fall of Colossus

Also, a movie was made of the 1st book - "Colossus - the Forbin Project"

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Well... I'm not much of a Sci-Fi buff, but I do recall that Arthur C. Clarke's HAL was a neural network of interconnected processors.

But, I think it was William Gibson's Neuromancer in which a conscious "being" evolved and existed in a global network of computers.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Actually, Macspectrum, Clarke wrote this short story before the Collosus series came out. His story can be found the in the Collected Works of Arthur C. Clarke - a big monster of a book found at your favourite books story.

I do remember the Collosus series and read them voraciously when I bought them at a garage sale many moons ago. I recall a televised version of the tale...or am I sleeping?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think you are thinking of the ACC short story, the Nine Billion Names of God, where a religious sect uses a computer to print out all the possible names of God, and when the final name comes out, the stars go out.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
yes, I had thought of that one since I do not recall a story by Clarke about a computer that takes over the world..

good call...

you think we have a few sci-fi buffs on here? :D

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I can imagine the Admins thoughts....

"Unreal tournament at my place tonight!!"
If they aren't thinking about, I am.

The other thing I'd be thinking is "I wonder what the maximum number of UT players on the server would be - a few hundred?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts