Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm part of a group of people who is currently embarking on a new project/adventure. However we are looking for someone who is proficient in PHP / MySQL to help us out.

I'm not going to make you beleive this is a paying job. It ain't, but it's all glory, baby. Here's our "mission blurb". If you think this is a good enough project to lend your talents to, please message me or something.

The Passenger

"Why "the Passenger" ? We are constant passengers - in cars, subways, buses, planes, trains - but most importantly, we are passengers of life. The commercial says it best: "On the road of life, there are passengers and there are drivers" - What if Life is at the wheel, and we're strapped into the passenger seat, taking in the view, letting our minds wander... thinking, dreaming, wondering... We have assembled a list of talented and all around cool people who we thought might be interested in partaking in our little virtual road trip. Why? Because anything goes. As a contributor to The Passenger, your identity will remain totally anonymous - allowing you to contribute pieces that are thought provoking, shocking, rude, pretty, witty... allowing you to contribute anything you come up with. We call you "contributors", and not writers or journalists, because you'll be able to submit any kind of writings, photos, drawings, sounds... anything the medium will allow. Now, when we say "anything", please understand that we really do mean, "anything". Go insane, scan a torn piece of paper, write something with words that contain the letter "a". ANYTHING. We can't even fathom what you'll submit. The further you push us and ask, "Can I do this?" We are forced to make it happen. Organized chaos. How far can we go? When it comes up, we'll talk about it. A normal magazine contains articles, photographs, ads, horoscopes, etc. But we're not printing a magazine - we can do more than a regular magazine can. With The Passenger, we want our contributors to use their imaginations in coming up with new ways of telling stories and sharing the many many ways to see and live life. We're seeking out contributors from around the world: Open-minded, Innovative, Talented, Opinionated and Creative Individuals who want to ride with us to see how far we can go and where the road will take us. We want to challenge you to take a look around and tell us what you see, the way you see it. Since it's the web, you'll be able to change your mind daily if you want. Submissions can be made as often or as sporadically as desired. To be considered a full-fledged Passenger, we'd like you to submit at least 4 pieces a month. Feel free to submit all 4 at once, or one a week, or... you get the idea. The Passenger is about living life with your motor runnin'. Learning to be carefree again, in a world where that's not allowed. The Passenger is about trusting the driver, trusting life, no matter what happens, that everything has a purpose - it's all part of something... where are we going? It's about asking questions and getting the strangest answers. It's going insane and forgetting what you've learned. It's about screaming when you need to scream, and swearing where you need to swear; being flaky once in a while and over-thinking a thing or two. The Passenger is about moving forward, going somewhere, getting to a destination. It's everything. Limitless. The entertainment we consume lacks intelligence and wit, for the most part. It lacks art and truth. And it most certainly has no honesty to it. Without trying to preach an unattainable truth, The Passenger thinks, "Why not?" The Passenger tries to understand this unbelievable world. The Passenger wants to see how far the road stretches and in how many different directions life can go."

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you looking for someone that can build the site from scratch, or are you hoping to use some "off the shelf" software? There's a fair bit of software out there that (I think) will do 80-90% of what you want without too much trouble; most of the work would just be customising it for your particular site...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfpoole great to hear from you.

Sadly, I'm not 100% sure what we need. I'm used tto working in the front end (graphic part mostly). I've worked on projects similar to this, howevver I was unaware that there were off the shelf stuff that did this too.

:confused: What would you recomend?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
From the sounds of it, you're setting up a site where you'll have a group of editors go through article submissions from a number of different authors and determine which ones to publish. If that's the case (and please correct me if it isn't) then Scoop or Slash might do the trick for you. There are other packages out there that do the same sort of thing, but those are two that I'm familiar with off the top of my head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts