Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using PS now for quite some time, but have been stuck with 6.0 running in Classic. Does anyone know the best price for an upgrade to 7.0? I'd like to get out of Classic, and I imagine the upgrade to 7.0 is a plus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can upgrade to Photoshop CS (aka ver 8) from Photoshop 6. I think the upgrade price is around $275.

If you want to go really nuts, you can upgrade to one of the CS suites from any version of Photoshop as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not terribly sure. You should go to adobe's site and read up. But I figure if your going to upgrade, you may as well upgrade to the latest version.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
PS 7.0 is no longer available, so your going to have to go with PS CS which is basically PS v8 unlike PS v7, PS CS will only run on Mac OS X machines I think its also optimized for dual processors.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Going from PS 6 to 7 is a noticable change in features and performance. At work we have upgraded to PS CS Suite which is PS 8 basically. It only runs on OS X and like all Adobe upgrades a few more added features have been incorporated. PS 7 & 8 are dual processor aware as well. They both rip through data on a dual G4.

The only factor to consider before upgrading is the mac you are working with. Will it run OS X well enough for you to utilize PS 8. You need lots of ram for OS X and the more ram you can throw at PS the better it will perform. It will use the scratch disc less if you have gigs of ram available. All the macs at work are maxed out at 2 gigs.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I sure would like to find a less expensive path to upgrading, but that might not be possible.

·
Registered
470 Posts
csonni - I dunno.

I wouldn't mind paying just $275 for the CS upgrade.
PS 7 cost a lot more than that, plus I added the RAW converter.

We just bought the CS Premium suite. So, we're keeping Adobe happy blindly following their upgrade path

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i find that photoshop seven is more sluggish than running 6 in classic while booted in X. also, there seems to be some inconsistencies in the way the two apps interpret colour profiles - be prepared for some head scratchers in this area.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is slightly off topic, I don't want to derail the topic but how does PS run on a 900 G3 iBook ? I'm thinking of getting a copy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
it should run pretty well! i'm running PS CS on my TiBook 400Mhz / 768MB RAM / 30GB HD
and it runs pretty good. no noticeable slowdown from upgrading from 7.0
i don't work on absolutely giant projects like some graphic designers (ie it slow down somewhat when i have tonnes of layers with layer effects and layer masks and such) but it's definately not unbearable.
so it should run quite well on a G3 900

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've run photoshop on a Pismo 500 and a TiBook 667 and both computers run PS decently. The real advantage that any G4 has over a G3 is in speed. PS is coded to take advantage of altivec processing which of course the iBook 900 does not have. But keep in mind that the G3 900 processor is no slouch. The increase in megahertz is what helped the 4 year life of the G3, although you would have expected it to be way higher than 900 mHz, way to go Motorola. If you go to Barefeats or Macspeed zone web sites there are PS comparisons with many different models of iBooks, TiBooks and G4s and you can see the graphs of how they performed for each task.

Check out these links
macspeedzone

barefeats

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't want to completely disagree with you khayman, but PS7 will be noticeably faster on Adrian's iBook.

I certaily have seen a difference on G3 iBooks, G4 singles and duals, and G5s.

Adrian, since you are just starting out with PS, keep an eye out for a deal on PS7. If you can't find one, your only choice will be CS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts