Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on another site, thought it might be interesting for those of us here.

Apparently PS/CS will identify a scanned image of the new US $20 and not only refuse to open it, but it'll give you a stern warning.

Read the discussion HERE.

So, is this good, bad or no big deal.

Me, personally --no biggie, as long as it does not go further. I don't feel comfortable with software vendors monitoring my use of their application...or worse, stuff that's none of their business. Interestingly enough, just last night I ordered the CS upgrade to PS 7. I wonder if I would have done so today after reading that.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
LOL, I find it funny more than anything, although I can see why it annoys people. Interesting Adobe would actually implent this kinda feature/monitoring device.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Lars, Adobe has been monitoring users for years. Every time you log on, a message is sent to them. The culprit is in your "Web" folder in the application support folder in the Library.
I hate the big brother syndrome.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
This kind of thing has been common on colour copiers for about a decade and has been known to be hard-wired into more than one scanner as well.

For the most part, it's active on consumer-level gear (which includes office copiers from Xerox and Canon) and has not been active on pro-level gear.

It's been in JACS's * consumer-level PC program Paint Shop Pro for a while.

PhotoShop's implementation is pretty sophisticated, though. Usually the "fix" has been to alter the colours so that a certain green won't save with the correct white. I guess that means you need PhotoShop to finish the job. Some (most?) printers won't properly print the corrected colours even if you do get it right in the file.

If you spend just a little time at it, you can easily detect fake currency by the feel of the paper without really trying too hard; our fingers can detect thickness differences of thousandths of an inch if we pay attention to what they're telling us.

The US dollar needs this kind of protection, because the US treasury is so reluctant to incorporate security in it's notes. Every feature on current US currency has been on others for anywhere from a decade to a century. What they won't say out loud is they just want the printing of US money to be as cheap as possible.

I remember an interview, when asked if the US might incorporate pseudo-holgrams on it's bills, as Canada did many years ago, one US treasury official said it was "impossible".

* I know the developer/owner of JASC (which stands for JAnuary Software Company; the month he went from shareware to commercial; quitting his airline pilot job and incorporating. It was originally a shareware tool to translate DOS image files for use in Windows v1.0).

Adobe released PhotoShop Elements for the PC specifically to compete with him, which is why they seem pretty lackluster about the Mac edition; ColorIt! ($50) isn't a big player on Macs after the exact same strategy with PhotoShop LE v3 effectively killed it.

[ January 08, 2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts