Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received Photoshop 7 for Christmas :D and I am now looking for an instructional book. I did a search on amazon.com and found a ton of different Photoshop books
. I am an amateur photographer and have used Deneba's Canvas for a few years, and now finally made the jump to Photoshop.
Can anyone recommend a good instructional book for beginners.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
photoshop 7 for dummies is great for quick references.
Next, I would buy the book that deals with what you will use PS 7 for. Most books are strong in some area and weak in others. The wow books are great for showing specific tricks. Adobe classroom in a book are also good for that. (it is at my local library-kitchener) Other than that, head to the big book stores for the afternoon and scan through the many many choices.
Robert

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Robert.
head to the big book stores for the afternoon and scan through the many many choices.
The problem that I have here in Whitehorse is that I went down to our only small book store and found only a couple of high end books. I have to rely on amazon.ca or chapters.ca for my browsing and it is hard to tell what the books are like.
I thought of a Dummies book to start but wasn't sure. I plan to use Photoshop for scanned photo artistic manipulation and touch-ups.
Maybe I will start with the Dummies

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kirtland...

You mighty consider obtaining a copy of Adobe Photoshop 6 Classroom in a book. Comes with CD. I found it easy to follow in Photoshop 7.

It is very.. very close to photoshop 7, and available in Coles bookstores, and should be available on ebay, etc.

Maybe some eMac dudes have copies??
:D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Personally, I prefer the 'Visual Quickstart Guide' series of books from PeachPit Press over the 'For Dummies' books. I am not sure of the exact reason why, but I find I pick stuff up from them quite a bit faster.

--PB

[ December 27, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: PosterBoy ]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks PosterBoy, I think I will give Visual Quickstart a try, I have never really been a fan of "For Dummies" books although it was "Mac For Dummies" back in 1996 that got me started in the right direction :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Kirtland I would forget all the books and get this DVD. I've bought a number of books and this DVD blows them all away, much easier to follow than a book. Once you've got a grasp of PS7 then you might look into books. I would stay away from the WOW series as they are badly written and are very confusing for a newbie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
classroom in a book. it's what i learned with back in ps5 and it's fantastic

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Anything by Scott Kelby, but specifically this book.

Actually, while looking for this link, I noticed Amazon.ca is offering Adobe's "classroom" book and Kelby's as a package for $90 with free shipping.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the difference between Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I tend to steer clear of computer help books. Publishers tend to back-fill them with a lot of self-evident information (i.e., summaries of every item in the menu list...in excruciatingly dull detail), and yet they're are rather sparse when it comes to providing helpful in-depth tips or everyday advice.

I've found plenty of free tips online. Here are a couple for your info:

- Laurie McCanna's list of PS tips ; and

- Apple's creative tips page (really helpful Quicktime movies).

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Photoshop CS is basically Photoshop 8.

...but don't let that deter you because you have PS 7. The basic functionality is identical between those two versions.

Some Photoshop Links:

Photoshop Techniques

PlanetPhotoShop

Photoshop Foundry

...that should keep you busy for a bit. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts