Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard about this on the radio, not sure how credible the info is though.

petekillsanimals.com

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
We know all about PETA in NL. The stories are true.
They will lie and deny, anything to fund raise.:ptptptptp

Though I have to applaud them for this: From 2003, Canadian Press

NEW YORK -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has delayed a new ad campaign with the slogan "Get Neutered, It Didn't Hurt Clay Aiken," while it waits to see if Aiken will apologize for negative comments he made about cats, PETA officials said Tuesday. "If Clay Aiken intends on staying famous, he has to learn to take a joke," said Dan Mathews, vice president of the Norfolk, Va.-based animal rights group.
The ad features the crass puppet Triumph the Insult Comic dog from "Late Night" with Conan O'Brien urging pet owners to spay or neuter their animals. The barb came from Triumph, but PETA allowed the ad because of an interview Aiken gave to Rolling Stone Magazine in June where he said he didn't like cats.
"There's nothing worse to me than a house cat. When I was about sixteen, I had a kitten and ran over it. Seeing that cat die, I actually think that its spirit has haunted me. I wasn't afraid of cats before. But now they scare me to death," Aiken told Rolling Stone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
PETA made me a vegematarian for 7 months... a trip to Alberta quickly nulled that.
There are fanatics in every human area. Religion is one. Food is another. Vegetarians are the Hare Krishna of food.

Man has eaten both vegetables and meat for millennia. Eliminating meat from one's diet is a personal choice. It has nothing to do with the treatment of animals.

It is simply the "intelligent design" of food. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
This is a great "test your character judgement" thread.

Some vegetarians are a-holes. Some meat-eaters are a-holes. Judging any group of people based on the actions of a few among who share slightly similar subset of beliefs is a fool's errand.

Just like it's easy to draw conclusions about intolerance and prejudice among ehMac posters. It's better not to judge them based on a few hateful, spiteful, intolerant posts, though.

For the record, not all Mac users hate PETA's reasonable majority of members, although many have no use for the few who uncharacteristically break their own tenets.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
When i was vegetarian I kept it to myself... like when I was at a restaurant I frequented with friends I just ordered vegetarian dishes for myself but recommended some good fish and meat dishes for them to eat that I liked before... I admit it was one of PETA's videos that got me totally turned off by meat and I issued a warning to all my friends to stay away from the video. My girlfriend at the time wanted to watch it out of curiousity and she didn't eat meat for a month lol... then went back to fish.

I think they do raise good issues though. I mostly buy free range eggs which is a lot easier now that I'm in Mission, there are a couple of free range farms around here. I also cut down on meat consumed so I make sure I only eat it one meal a day. It's not just about making sure not so many animals have to die, but a lot of resources are used to farm these animals. Agricultural land used to produce feed for these animals when it could feed us directly for one, and all that manure though the manure and excellent weather has given me a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. :D I love my meat again, I'm just trying not to go crazy with it. For one thing... I was a really healthy person during that time. When I started eating meat again I got hit by a really bad flu bug that kept me in bed for a week and I dunno, I just don't feel as healthy. Physically stronger and all because vegetarianism seriously affected my hockey game play. Just not healthy.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
"Death before dishonour.....to critters, not me just critters."

Kinda reminds me of the old joke of the young vet advising the old rancher on modern ways to castrate bulls into steers. The old rancher says "naw we just sneak up behind 'em with two bricks. "Oooh! Painful!" say the young vet. The old rancher say "No we keep our fingers out of the way."

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Fanatics suck big time. This is the real problem with PETA. They have many good ideas but take it too extreme. Animals shouldn't be NEEDLESSLY tortured and I believe they often are. PETA would hate me. I eat meat and have cats as pets. I do believe people like them are necessary however as they are among the few that agitate on animal rights issues. Animals should only be used in medical experiments when absolutely necessary. Foodstock animals should have
certain rights (like the right to not live in a high density feed lot).

They hypocrisy of all the healthy animals they kill is just weird. I hope this hurts their funding and causes them to lose the fanaticism. The Penn and Teller link on PETA on page 1 of this thread is an excellent resource on PETA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts