Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what experience people have had with using the .Mac service, I know this has been covered before but thought I would toss it out again and I’m new to the forum and want to participate and like flogging a topic to death.

When I made the switch back to macs and bought my iBook 10 months ago I had signed up for the trial period and promptly forgot about it until now. (Having too much fun playing with my iBook) But now I will be moving to Finland for 6 months and thought having a .Mac account could be useful, posting pictures of being chased naked by reindeer after a sauna kinda thing (opps caribou for you other northerners)

I will probable sign up for the trial period again under a different user name to see how I like it. (then I will be faced with which one to use, uggh) What does having an extra email address cost? I like to keep my personal separate from my professional and I’m starting to get tired of hotmail. Right now my use will be personal but hopefully professional also in the future. So I would like to hear anything new on what people like/dislike about the service and how they use it. Cheers. :D

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
If all you're looking for is somewhere to post pics of a naked person being chased by offended caribou, why not get your own domain? I know that you can probably get something with one of those free websites but I've always hated their ads.

As for email, you can always get an email account from Fastmail, Runbox, Hotpop, Mailsnare and so on. Prices are pretty reasonable and service is usually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
For me, the key benefit of .Mac is derived from the fact that I have three Macs that I need to sync. Together, iSync and iDisk are essential in letting me share and synchronize my key files plus addresses, iCals and bookmarks. Not sure whether this is something you need...

Sounds to me like one of the things you're looking for is portability of your data and email. Sure, .Mac can handle that, but if that's all you need, it might be cheaper to get a domain or a virtual domain, through which you can send/receive email (via webmail) and up/download data to a hosting server. The downside is that you'll have to do all the setup and maintenance work yourself, whereas .Mac looks after that for you.

[ January 02, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: PGant ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had nothing but praise to say about .Mac.

I use it for a simple/professional e-mail address (e.g. [email protected]) as well as webmail access. A fantastic way to back up my computer (via Backup. An app that you get when purchasing .Mac) that lets me backup to my iDisk, and span CDs/DVDs (spanning is very important to me). Syncing all of my Macs, iPod and Palm. And every now and again a free application if offered that I might find useful.

All in all, I find the $150 price well worth the service and product that I get.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I concur with Evan Holt. The ease of use and simplicity is worth every penny. I also host a web site on my iDisk, from time to time.

Yes, perhaps one could scrounge similar services for a little less money, but the .Mac package in it's entirety provides good value... $12.50 per month is hard to beat!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Actually Apple reduced the price of .Mac to $139 (plus taxes), thanks to Canada's appreciating dollar.

I sure hope they follow suit on the rest of their merchandise

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
The integration of .Mac into Apple's iApps is a big plus. The ability to so easily put, for example, iPhoto albums on your website with the click of a button is just sweet, man.

:cool:
M

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Attaching a second (or third, or tenth) email address to a mail one is just $10.00 US per year (yes, about $1.00 CAN a month) per address.

:cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, it will give me something to think about. I guess since I have not used this type of service or have my own web site I just need to jump in and start using these things to see if I like them or not. For me since I have only ever used free email all these other features are things I have not used so I just need to see if they justify the cost.

The 10 bucks a year sounds resonable for an extra email address if .Mac is your main service.

How are peoples experience with PC's viewing your homepage and down loading files, for example mac at home and PC at work? If people with PC's cannot do this .Mac would be less attractive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a mac account.. how do I get another email address for $10? Does this also apply to homepage as well?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Attaching a second (or third, or tenth) email address to a mail one is just $10.00 US per year (yes, about $1.00 CAN a month) per address.
??? really?? How so?? what do I do?

H!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I signed up first when they had the 1/2 off. I figured, "everyone has my .mac email address and it's too much bother to change, I'll change it next year".

I changed everyone over to another email, and it came down to my renewal. I though about all the stuff the subscription offered:
</font>
  • iDisk (great for sharing with others including PC's)</font>
  • Homepage</font>
  • Great software freebies</font>
  • Seamless iApp integration (mentioned earlier). I can post Xmas parties pictures and let my friend/family know about it.. all in 2 minutes.</font>
In the end, it's up to you. I value the above points enough to justify the cost. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
I, too, am interested in possibly starting up with .Mac. Does anyone have a .Mac Homepage I could go to to view? I like both the Homepage and the Backup service with .Mac. Also, does anyone know if iSync will sync over to an external drive?

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
does anyone know if iSync will sync over to an external drive
Hmm...I don't think it will do what you describe. iSync handles address book, iCal and Safari bookmark files, which are located within your User folder.

You can sync other files (including those on an external drive), but you'll have to use iDisk, which is included with .Mac. A subscription will give you 100 megs of space for syncing, homepages, photos, etc...

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have a .Mac account. We use it to host a lot of the images for Geek Patrol to keep our bandwidth bill down. In fact I think pretty much every file on my idisk is being accessed some other site, such as ehMac.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Backup 2 (included with a .Mac subscription) can back up files to an external hard drive or iPod. It works pretty good too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Backup 2 (included with a .Mac subscription) can back up files to an external hard drive or iPod. It works pretty good too.
But you got to be registered in order to backup to other media. I'm on the trial period right now, and it only backs up to .Mac.... I was told that once I pay for it, the other menus would work.

$149's a tad expensive... so i don't think i'm going to buy it. looks promising though. i can't love the iCal publishing enough.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Indeed, it can, as PosterBoy mentioned. But C was asking about using it with iSync.

To be clear:

iSync is used to sync your address book, iCals and bookmarks *Not* a backup...

Backup lets you, well, backup stuff *but* it doesn't let you sync that backup between Macs on a network.

iDisk lets you sync what you want between Macs on a network, albeit more slowly than with iSync, but covering any kind of file you wish (up to 100 megs).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts