Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Large numbers of PE Islanders go to the Polls today. It's what they do with their vote that is amazing. 23 to 4 PC vs Liberal going into election 23 to 4 Liberal vs PC coming out of election. amazing.Turnout high at advance polls for P.E.I. election

CBC said:
P.E.I.'s Liberal party cruised to a surprisingly easy victory in Monday's provincial election. The Liberals earned 53 per cent of the counted vote.
P.E.I. tide paints province Liberal red

Liberals stomp tories in P.E.I. election

National Post said:
CHARLOTTETOWN - Voters in Prince Edward Island turfed Pat Binns' Conservative government after 11 years in power and instead embraced another familiar name - Liberal Robert Ghiz, 33, the son of former premier Joe Ghiz.

The Liberal landslide victory over the Conservatives was a complete reversal of fortunes. With more than half of the polls reporting, the Grits were leading in 23 seats and the Tories in the other four. Going into the election, the Progressive Conservatives held 23 seats and the Liberals four.

As is the custom with Islanders, voter turnout was strong. "It's been raining and drizzly all day, but that doesn't keep Islanders from voting," said returning officer Bob Anderson, from the Charlottetown-Brighton district. "If you go back to the last election provincially, it was the day after hurricane Juan and we still had over 80% turnout." A similar turnout rate was expected this election.

In the past six elections average turnouts have hit more than 80%, and Anderson expected Monday's vote would be in the same range.

The Progressive Conservatives under Binns have been in power since 1996 and were seeking a historic fourth-term.

The environment, a report on MLAs pay that the opposition parties accused the premier's office of delaying its release and a Tory promise to build a new school, which wasn't in their capital budget, were the main election issues.

The Liberals had a strong majority of the popular vote, 54% to 41% for the Tories.

Had Binns been re-elected, he would have become the longest-serving P.E.I. premier.

This is the last election that the premier can choose his own election date. P.E.I., like many Canadian jurisdictions, is moving to fixed election dates.
Last election on PEI was was September 29, 2003, literally the morning after Hurricane Juan. 80 % of voters turned out to cast ballots at that time. It will be interesting to see how many Islanders turn out to vote when it only rainy as it was today.:)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Democracy in action. I love it when people take the time to vote and express their democratic right of freedom of choice in a free election.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Luckily, my polling place for provincial and federal elections is a 5 minute walk from my house.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily, my polling place for provincial and federal elections is a 5 minute walk from my house.
How far is it if you drove? :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
BigDL, about 45 seconds by car, 2-3 minutes to get there walking (downhill) and 3-5 coming back from voting and walking.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigDL, about 45 seconds by car, 2-3 minutes to get there walking (downhill) and 3-5 coming back from voting and walking.
Does time indicated account for parking as well? However to my original question "how far is it if you drove" I thought it would be the same distance. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
It is valet parking, so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. Nor do I have to stand on line to vote. There are so few Americans of Quebec ancestry (my mother was born in Montreal) choosing to come and live in NL, we are given special status. Thus, I need not "rub shoulders" with the commoners, the "riff raff" or the droves going to vote. I am told that my personal voting booth was last owned by Lord Black himself, when he was still a Canadian citizen.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is valet parking, so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. Nor do I have to stand on line to vote. There are so few Americans of Quebec ancestry (my mother was born in Montreal) choosing to come and live in NL, we are given special status. Thus, I need not "rub shoulders" with the commoners, the "riff raff" or the droves going to vote. I am told that my personal voting booth was last owned by Lord Black himself, when he was still a Canadian citizen.
CFA has its privileges. Eh? :D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
looks like you're applying for a position in the current harper cabinet
;)

speaking of cabinet
i notice the once great rona ambrose has been as quiet as a church mouse
her fall from grace couldn't have happened to a more deserving person
don't let the door hit you on the way out rona
:D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
MIchael, I hear that Lord Black's conditions for returning to Canada as a full citizen once again, his conditions mind you, is to be given the chance to buy PEI as an estate for he and Barbara. I would have thought that this would have been a campaign issue, but it was not.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MIchael, I hear that Lord Black's conditions for returning to Canada as a full citizen once again, his conditions mind you, is to be given the chance to buy PEI as an estate for he and Barbara. I would have thought that this would have been a campaign issue, but it was not.
Dr.G you have touched upon a very sensitive historical issue for PE Islander. To even joke about this issue could incur the wrath of Bud the Spud or Span of Green Cables. Tread gently dear friend tread gently. ;)

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
buy PEI?
i think lord tubby and babs would fully expect PEI to be given to them as a gift

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
BigDL, no need to fret over my wanting to "incur the wrath of Bud the Spud or Span of Green Cables". I would not want to see Lord Black given back his Canadian citizenship, now be allowed to buy PEI. Sandly, that is the only province I have yet to visit in my 30 years here in Canada. I shall visit that fine province someday, and proudly wear the "PEI -- Live Free or Die" tee-shirt while I am there. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Dr.G you have touched upon a very sensitive historical issue for PE Islander. To even joke about this issue could incur the wrath of Bud the Spud or Span of Green Cables. Tread gently dear friend tread gently. ;)
That reference alone made reading this thread worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigDL, no need to fret over my wanting to "incur the wrath of Bud the Spud or Span of Green Cables". I would not want to see Lord Black given back his Canadian citizenship, now be allowed to buy PEI. Sandly, that is the only province I have yet to visit in my 30 years here in Canada. I shall visit that fine province someday, and proudly wear the "PEI -- Live Free or Die" tee-shirt while I am there. Paix, mon ami.
Just be careful. Those Islanders are not as forthright, shall we say, as the islander where you reside.

Sure you can go to PEI by ferry or by bridge; and an attractive bridge it is, though it is laking in green cables; but beware they let you in for free but try and leave and see what happens. Just be careful you don't get attached to the place. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
My wife went to a dog show in PEI, but I stayed home with our other doxies. Thus, she has been to every province before me. C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That reference alone made reading this thread worthwhile.
I was advised of this tale of Span of Green Cables by a first cousin once removed. The way I heard it was...

Once upon a time on a wonderful green and red Island there was a Span of Green Cables. Little Span was use to getting lots of visitors. Anywhere you wanted to go on PEI you had to cross the Span of Green Cables. Little Span so loved the people. The people so loved Little Span as well.

When the red dust of the Island would gather on Little Span's deck and the rain would fall on the dust. That dust would turn into mud and become very, very, very slippery. However Little Span would not allow any accidents on her deck. The people much appreciated this security and invented a new word to describe the slickness of the mud and that word is still used today on PEI. The word is slipy.

Little Span used to enjoy elections on her Island. She always received special attention at election time by the governing party and promises of more attention to take place after the election by the party in official opposition.

The dust and mud was removed, pot holes were filled, the tension on the Green Cables was adjusted and little Span was given a new coat of green paint.

However one promise made and kept was very fateful for Little Span. That promise involved the usual promise of road construction. The new road by-passed our Little Span of Green Cables.

The new concrete bridge boasted of having all the traffic and attention and would mock Little Span. That is until the tress and bushes grew up and obscured the view. Then Little Span was forgotten.

The old road was not maintained any more or neither was Little Span for that matter. Little Span of Green Cable became an orphan.

The red mud accumulated on Little Span's deck and Wild Choke Cherry Trees grew on her deck.

Now Choke Cherry Blossoms look very much like Saskatoon Berries Blossoms but the berries are smaller with a smooth skin and brilliant red. These Choke Cherries never sweeten like Saskatoon Berries and are always bitter. The berries would fall and decompose on Little Span deck. As her Green Cables were neglected the tension became uneven.

Because of neglect the Orphaned Little Span of Green Cables became old bitter and twisted. Thus I, felt I must warn Dr. G. of any remarks that would thereby cause him the danger of inadvertently crossing the Span of Green Cables.

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts