Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-ho-ho!!!

One of you nice boys and girls may get a new PDA for Christmas this year, but Santa needs your help!!!

Someone has asked for a PDA for Christmas, but Santa is not sure which ones are OS X compatible (Jaguar). Can any of you nice boys and girls help Santa out?

Think entry level...or something with a colour screen that is not too expensive.

Please post any responses here...and don't forget the milk and cookies!!! Ho ho ho!!! Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
OH MAN... I need to PM my gift request for this year.

Seeing that you need a color screen I might say the Palm E - but that comes sans Bluetooth. May seem unimportant, but believe me you may want this later. If you're ready to drop $$, go T2 (same screen + BT). But I really like the E though. Hella bright and nice screen. Are you BT friendly?

No cookies here, but I'll leave west indian patties

H!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
[Start broken record] PDAs are dead, wait for the iPod/Newton combo (my own rumour detailed here - bottom of page) or get a combo cell phone/PDA [/End broken record]

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
If you are looking for a decent pda with colour screen but don't want all the bells and whistles, look for a sony Clié SJ-22.

They are a bit older but work quite well. Best Buy has them for just over $200. I've had mine for a about 8 months and can honestly say it's my favorite (having owned many). It has 16MB of onboard memory, a decent hi-res colour screen and synchs with Macs out of the box.

My only complaint is the poor speed when using a memory stick. I have several family photos which I like to view occasionaly and the speed when switching pictures is anoying. Otherwise, a great little pda.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are looking for a decent pda with colour screen but don't want all the bells and whistles, look for a sony Clié SJ-22.
And the Sony will snych and be compatible with Mac OS X? What about with Entourage?

Santa's talking "integration" here, my little helpers!

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Don't know about Entourage. Does anything synch with Entourage? I have never had a real need to use Entourage so have stuck with Apple Address and use a combination of iCal and Palm Desktop.

When I first got the SJ-22 I thought I was going to have to get third-party software to synchronize as even the Sony people at the Sony store said that their products were not only not supprted on the Mac but flat out would not work. They spoke as if they had personally tried to make a Mac work with their product and failed. Was I really surprised when it worked flawlessly? I felt like taking in my iBook and showing them how easy it was.

·
Registered
656 Posts
with the sonys, you'll need The Missing Sync software, but i believe iSync will work with it for the most part.

my suggestion is the Palm Tungsten E.

very sexy unit, full compatibility with os X.

we sell it at future shop for around $299. plus i think you get a mail-in-rebate for a gold stylus.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
What is the Missing Synch for? As I wrote earlier, I thought I was going to need this in order to synchronize my Sony SJ-22 to my Mac (running Palm Desktop) but I don't. Both Palm Desktop and iSynch recognize my Sony PDA without a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we sell it at future shop for around $299. plus i think you get a mail-in-rebate for a gold stylus.
It is also $100 more than the entry level, colour Palm. Value for money is also one of Santa's concerns! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
What colour model of Palm can you get for $129? How does it stack up in features. Value for your dollar doesn't just mean least expensive. Compare the memory and the screen between the SJ-22 and an entry level Palm and I think you'll prefer the SJ-22. I did the research when I bought mine and there was no way I could justify a Palm purchase when doing a direct comparison.

Now that the Zire 71 is out I'd consider it, but the extra features cost more money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Sony Clie and love it. It worked flawlessly under Jaguar and works flawlessly under Panther. I did install the Missing Sync software with out any problems. Remember that the Sony's are made in Japan, offer decent bang for the buck, several have aluminum cases with excelllent fit and finish and Sony's Palm OS menu system is more intuitive than Palm's! The Palms are cheap and and are made in China or some other "developing" nation. You don't want to support the sweatshops do you Santa?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Don't laugh, but I still use my trusty Palm IIIxe on my Macs. Syncs fine with iSync. Despite all the new PDAs I've seen over the past few years, I have yet to find anything that comes close to the III series in terms of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you want value, then I highly recommend the Palm Zire 71. The bottom-line price is higher than, uh, Santa's price range, but I think the overall package is worth it when you consider the features.

It's fully Mac compatible out of the box, able to sync with Entourage through Microsoft's free palm connection utility available on their website. It has a built-in colour digital camera, which I find quite handy, and can be set to sync to your iPhoto library folder. It also has built-in Mp3 and video playback functionality, but does require an additional memory card for media storage. The Zire 71 is, to my knowledge, the least expensive multi-function PDA on the market.

I use my Zire in meetings, using the camera function to save snapshots of the whiteboard. The Mp3 player is great for the gym because it is solid state (skip proof). The video functionality... that I'm still trying to find a productive use for. That just makes it a PDA to grow into! :)

So, while not considered a budget PDA, I would say for overall value, the Zire 71 wins hands down.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Not sure which ones take the compact flash cards, But I'd
recomend getting one that uses compact flash or the
expansion cards...Like the Kensington 5 gb cards.

My ideal PDA would have a digital camera and MP3 capabilities.

My 2¢

Dave :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts