Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a D-Link DFE-538TX Ethernet cardd in one of my PCI slots on my G5 (Dual 1.8 running on Panther 10.39). My computer does not seem to recognize the card. When I run the about this mac it only shows my graphic card and nothing else. I want use both my built-in ethernet and a PCI so I can connect a printer to the PCI ethernet. I did this on my G4 which was running OS9. Does anyone know how to do this on my G5.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
???

If the printer already has an ethernet port, why are you not simply plugging the printer into an Ethernet hob, switch or router?

IIRC from years past, Mac Ethernet cards require Mac compatible firmware and/or a Mac driver. But the last time I had to install an Ethernet card in a Mac was last century...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as easy as it looks

The Problem is that I'm in an office that has the internet connection built into the wall. I'm connected into a network already so I have no place to plug my printer in. I had this problem once before with my G4. I simply added an ethernet card and connected my printer to that. Essentially I had 2 ethernet connections running at the same time. Can I not do this with my G5?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Yes, that would be my advice - altho' there are not many Ethernet switches on the market that retail for less than $30 - a little 4 port Ethernet switch does what you want, external to the Mac, and is devoid of compatibility and installation issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ethernet Switch

So do I plug the ethernet switch into the wall and then connect my computer and the printer to the switch. Will I still be able to connect to the internet this way because I tried doing this with a d-link router with no success.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
So do I plug the ethernet switch into the wall and then connect my computer and the printer to the switch. Will I still be able to connect to the internet this way because I tried doing this with a d-link router with no success.
Yes. and Yes
A switch is not a router.

Some routers have switches built in, and it would likely have worked with the d-link too, if you had gone in and turned off the router features.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the <$20 Dynex switches at Future Shop. The smaller ones (4-5 port?) have been in the $10 range.

I've got two of the 8 port ones (about $17 when I bought them) in my network and rarely have issues with them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts