ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new ethernet card for my Performa 6400 Heres the site were I bought the card http://www.adoptamac.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=124 He says its plug and play so I pluged it in nothing shortly after I got my new HD for my Imac and poped the old one in the performa and upgraded to mac os 9 still no poped it in the other pci slot reinstalled my os again nothing any trouble shooting info you may have would be greatly apreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
There is a little button {Cuda Reset Button}on the mother board next to the PCI Slots near the bottom of the board if memory serves.

Push the button in and that should solve your problem. Linky Performa 6400

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
Have a look in your System Folder/Extensions folder for any filename like 'Apple Enet' and I can't remember what else might be required.

If it's not there, re-installing the OS may help with the card properly inserted as the 6400's didn't come with ethernet and any later OS installs may not have installed anything if there was no ethernet hardware installed during the OS install.

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pressed cuda reset button made sure my card was securly in which i was reinstalled os 9 I have an extension named Apple Ethernet CS II Its 68k version 1.1 and the package is Mac OS Z-9.0 when I plug in the cable to the card some lights light upbut I still cant connect to the internet

M

·
0 Posts
Apple Ethernet CS II extension is for a different card (for the specific card slot one).

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I pressed cuda reset button made sure my card was securly in which i was reinstalled os 9 I have an extension named Apple Ethernet CS II Its 68k version 1.1 and the package is Mac OS Z-9.0 when I plug in the cable to the card some lights light upbut I still cant connect to the internet
The light shows that the card is working, but it just doesn't have the software installed to work or communicate with the OS.

As mentioned the Apple Ethernet CS II extension is for an ethernet card installed in the Com Slot II communications lot. They worked well but were quite expensive in their day.

Try reinstalling OS 9 and look for any options to install any networking software and even an 'open transport' option to use it and then restart after the install. You should end with some extra ethernet extensions and some control panels installed to control the card.

Or maybe get back to the seller for some help and advice. ;-)

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------

·
Skeptical Mac Collector
596 Posts
Have you set up TCP/IP correctly to use the ethernet card? Generally you have to select the network traffic after installing a new device, otherwise it will default to appletalk (printer port).

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
You have to re-install the OS to get the proper Ethernet stuff in place.

I offered to sell you a PDS Ethernet card for a reasonable price a long time ago (May 23) - and was ignored.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing I want to say is to Gerbill and I mean this in the most politest way possible but I dont like looking like a ass-hole by you saying

offered to sell you a PDS Ethernet card for a reasonable price a long time ago (May 23) - and was ignored.

And in that forum I replied saying I do not live near white rock to get it also I said I could get one off ebay and that was for my performa lc 575 not my performa 6400 my 6400 does not even have pds

Now that thats done withI reinstalled the os I mean completly formated the HD and put os 9 I still could not do it I also tried mac os 8.0 still nothing I tried going to TCP-IP and it says the prevously selected connection ethernet is not available the connection has been changed to apple talk (MacIP) but the card still lights up the card has 4 lights and the right to lights are lit up but not the left 2

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
The first thing I want to say is to Gerbill and I mean this in the most politest way possible but I dont like looking like a ass-hole by you saying

offered to sell you a PDS Ethernet card for a reasonable price a long time ago (May 23) - and was ignored.

And in that forum I replied saying I do not live near white rock to get it also I said I could get one off ebay and that was for my performa lc 575 not my performa 6400 my 6400 does not even have pds
'Scuse me - I never meant to suggest that you're an asshole.

The 6400 does have a PDS slot on the motherboard, by the way. It accommodates the adapter thingy that allows you to plug in two PCI cards. The Comm Slot II card that I was offering then (still available, BTW) would have allowed you to have Ethernet, while still keep both PCI slots in the adapter free. For example, you could have used them for a video card and a USB card.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Scuse me - I never meant to suggest that you're an asshole.

The 6400 does have a PDS slot on the motherboard, by the way. It accommodates the adapter thingy that allows you to plug in two PCI cards. The Comm Slot II card that I was offering then (still available, BTW) would have allowed you to have Ethernet, while still keep both PCI slots in the adapter free. For example, you could have used them for a video card and a USB card.

BigDL gave us a diagram of the motherboard I dont see it there and I dont see the pds on mine I am also sorry for making the coment about you making me look like an asshole I just infered it wrong I guess

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
BigDL gave us a diagram of the motherboard I dont see it there and I dont see the pds on mine I am also sorry for making the coment about you making me look like an asshole I just infered it wrong I guess
Never mind, I sometimes make myself look like an asshole, so it's kind of a honor in any case:):)

You probably wouldn't want to use the slot for a PDS card anyway, since PCI cards are more common.

The Comm Slot II on these Macs is usually either empty or occupied by a useless 33.6 Kbps. modem. Using a Comm Slot II Ethernet card allows you to install two PCI cards, while still having Ethernet connectivity. (The 6500 had this arrangement from the factory.)

Since you chose a PCI Ethernet card, that leaves you a single slot, which I'd suggest filling with a 3rd-party video card - the motherboard video on the 6400 was notoriously weak. An even better solution would be to trade the 6400 in on a Power Macintosh 6500 (up to 300 MHz) which is much more powerful, but not much more expensive nowadays. The 6500 usually came from Apple with a 3rd-party video card installed. It is identical in appearance to the 6400.

Here's an interesting fact - the Performa 6400/ Power Mac 6500 is slightly heavier than a brand new 8 core Mac Pro. Hernias galore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts