Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Man, you need a Radeon 7000, a new EEPROM chip, and very good soldering skills. Seems to be a lot of work and I'm not that skilled at using a soldering iron. I think I'll just buy a Mac version.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
There are also a few errors in that report. You cannot use A Radeon 9800 that works in a G4 in a G5. This has already been stated by ATI. Ie. the current retail Radeon 9800 from ATI will not work in a G5. ATI is currently making a retail Radeon 9800 Pro specifically for the G5.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I suspect that the 9800 would work in the 1.6GHz G5 since it has standard PCI slots, AFAIK. Not an issue for me, since it will be some time before I own a G5!

My soldering skills are pretty good and I have access to SMT tools as well. Just not a 9800 or a Mac with AGP...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The Radeon 9800 is AGP. The AGP in the G5 has a different power connector than the AGP in the G4. Any AGP card for a G5 has to be made specifically for the G5.

Edit: Ooops, it looks like ATI fixed the power connector problem, They have a guide here on istalling the Radeon 9800 in a G5, but you have to remove the optical drive and fool around with the power connector of the optical drive and a Y-connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.