Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
That review is very, very lame. Oh, and 2 paragraphs long?? That's a REVIEW? That's more like a preview of some thing they haven't actually used. PC Magazine needs to get its act together and stop posting wasteless content. That's the lamest and shortest 'review' I've ever read. No detail at all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have to say, that indeed a lot of the apps from Apple need much in the way of improvements. iCal is okay, but it could be a lot better. Probably the reason why all the Apple Employees are using Meeting Maker and not iCal.

iSync....meh. Its okay but still needs a lot of work in my humble opinion.

I think itunes is great, probably the best there is, but there is not a hope in hell that I would pay 100.00 US. for a .mac account that I never used all the features from anyways.

But also, people keep complaining about all these products having lots of problems, but don't forget these are first generation apps that were released from Apple and they are just that: 1st generation apps.

Now that other companies like MS Office, meeting maker, and so on have developed their apps into recursive versions with improvements in them, these people doing these reviews have to realize that these apps from Apple are still new born and will need a lot of tweaking and revisions before they truly hit a home run with a lot of people.

I think iCal has a massive amount of potential with the online web syncing, but not until Apple makes it easier to the general public to work with it will people see the potential of it.

As I recall, Windows NT 3.5 and Windows NT4 and even Outlook mail app were massively put down and rejected by a multitude of people, but now they are standardized apps that everyone and their mother seem to use. They too started out rocky and shakey and took years to clean out and bring up to acceptable standards.

I am sure Apple will do it, they are agressively pushing the software front and developing apps that work with the system.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am with mr 101 on this one, as iCal and iSync have a long way to go in my book. .Mac is alright, but I am not sure if I will re-subscribe this year, unles of course they offer a price reduced version.

When iSync lets me sync my info from sources other than Address Book.app I think I might start using it.

--PB

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
RicktheChemist wrote:
It's like asking a Chevette driver to review a Mercedes.

Comments like that remind me of this cartoon. Maybe Penny-Arcade has a point?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they're almost as bad as software developers.
;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
ehMax wrote:
Yeah, they're almost as bad as software developers.

Oh, my sides.

Really, though, ever since I've become part of the Mac community, whenever an article or review comes out that is critical of the Mac platform, I see so many knee-jerk reactions (usually coupled with some sort of slur against whoever wrote the article) that I just shake my head. Rather than address the points of the article, these people just state the author is wrong, that the author doesn't possess the sophistication or intelligence that's required to truly appreciate the Mac platform, and that the author has an axe to grind about the Mac.

This sort of behavior isn't helpful. After a while, people just start discounting the noise made by the Mac community, so that when Apple actually does something right (which, lately, seems to be happening more often than not) it's just dismissed as yet another delusional rant from the Mac zealots.

The article itself was a bit heavy-handed, but it did have a number of valid points (both for and against the various iApps and .Mac). It did tell you what to expect from iCal, iSync, iTunes, and .Mac, though, and isn't that the point of a review, to inform people of the merits and drawbacks of a particular product?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts