Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike's getting into politics when he posts crap like that.

For all intents and purposes, the computers' architecture are the same. Different GPUs, and hard drive, but basically the same. Why shouldn't the computers perform basically the same.

The person makes subjective comments on the computer. Real world tests? Where are his timings, where are his metrics, where is the data. None, well, guess what - that means he didn't do any tests because he can't prove it the facts.

All he did was prove to himself that he didn't want it. And his mind was already made up, he just needed a warm fuzzy for his own mind . But nothing he says means that I won't buy mine (as soon as they come in).

Some people...

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
Straight from April 3rd at www.xlr8yourmac.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I want to share my first impressions of the pb17" i had in a local shop in Hannover, Germany with you, hope this is of interest... I compared it to my Ti 867 15".

1. Overall:
After seeing it at MacExpo (keynote-QT-streaming): "I WANT ONE!" After seeing it live: "I WANT ONE!" - FIRST!
Fit and finish is superb. It feels good and SOLID. Display opens like a charm, smooth.
Although my Titanium looks a bit more "high-tech" and elegant, considering the two paintless spots it has in the meantime, i would prefer Aluminium.

2. User Interface
This covers, how it "interacts" with the user:
Display: bright (not as bright as my 15", although much better than the surrounding ibooks), sharp and huge. It ads only a bit more Workspace comparing the pixel resolution 17" vs. 15" but a lot more physical display. As i often use it for presentation, this is one for me.
Keyboard: solid and exact. feels firm and better "controllable" than the removeable one on the 15". What to say about the backlight-system... nothing (jaws down).
Trackpad: good size, good click, again solid.
Sound: Nice, not so "thin" as my 15", but it has only 2 Speakers for my concern. (recent reports state 3)

3. Technical Specs/Performance Test/Ghost Recon
This is the critical point, after which I decided: I DO NOT WANT ONE! - YET!
Of course it is a marvel of design and engeneering, but i had to consider dumping my only three month old Titanium and spending 4K Euros on the 17 "er, so it must be worth it. I made some quick real world tests, a little bit of Photoshop,a piece of imovie, finder operations, multitasking, and important to me as a gamer, a round of ghost recon. In all the apps tests, my 15" quite held the pace of the 17", in Ghost recon my Ti was faster most of the time. I do not understand why apple ships this fast and beautiful 17" design with that nVidia 440 go.... The chip inside the 15" ATI Radeon 9000M is by far, theoretically and practically, faster. Must be a political decision to fit inferior parts in their "high-tech" book than in their "mid-size" model. (My opinion: they had to invent some hardware at MW, and the nVidia 4200 Go was not finished, so they dumped in some "old" nVidia that fits the pin-connection, to easily upgrade the motherboard later with the 4200, time will tell. (The 4200 Go is based on the GF4 Ti chip, probably runs hotter but much faster than the GF4 Go 4xx series, with more features. And of course more expensive I suspect than the 4xx series.-Mike)

4. Conclusion
After my short review: I WANT THE NEXT REV.!
Motorola can deliver 1.33 Ghz today, nVidia and ATI have new "mobility" chips, but for me, the Radeon 9000 would do. So maybe 1.25 Ghz an nNidia 4200 or FX go, or Radeon >= 9000 and i would forget about my Ti and be happily ever after with the 17". By the way: Where the hell is the new 15"?
Maik S." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HHHHmmmm... Just what I thought in a previous somewhat heated thread here on ehMac.

Where's the beef?... Yeah... Where's the oomph? Stunning design; however, with it's "industry leading" 17" display, performance should be step-in-step yes?

Now, if the new 15" AlBook comes out before the 17" rev b -- likely, most definitely 'cause the Ti is WAY TOO bloody old -- wait and hesitate before buying. No way in heck could Apple have their 17" "beast" perform tamer than a 15.X" model -- it'd look really bad and confuse the consumer/prosumer. The 17" is a desktop replacement and therefore should perform like one. Since the 15" Ti and 17" Al are both at 1GHz currently, there is only one solution.

Apple will have to bump the speed on both models when the 15.X" AlBook is released -- in the process annoying those who have JUST got their 1GHz 17" AlBooks. They CANNOT have the 15" AlBook remain at 1GHz when the Ti has been at that for what seems forever -- since November 2002. They CANNOT have the top 17" equal the 15" in speed. I say "top" because there will probably be an additional faster 17" model -- possibly two -- announced alongside two 15.X" AlBooks. This is one way for Apple to dig out of the differentiation hole for the time being and still give a reason for a person to buy the 17" over the 15" -- justifying the desktop replacement title. I could see the low 17" equaling the high-end 15.X" Al speed-wise, though. Some people will just want that bigger screen and be satisfied with the performance.

All speculations. Don't take too seriously -- flames scare me. :D What do you think will happen in terms of GHz for each model -- when the 15.X" Al is released???

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
Apple will have to bump the speed on both models when the 15.X" AlBook is released -- in the process annoying those who have JUST got their 1GHz 17" AlBooks. They CANNOT have the 15" AlBook remain at 1GHz when the Ti has been at that for what seems forever -- since November 2002. They CANNOT have the top 17" equal the 15" in speed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the time the new 15" Albook comes out, all the 17" users will have had their 17" Albook for awhile. There's probably a couple of reasons why the 15" is hanging around - 1) to allow users to have a MacOS 9 bootable laptop for another few months 2) to allow inventory to be depleted. Also, I don't see there being any problem having the same Mhz CPU in the 15" and 17" - hey, maybe it'll be a PowerPC 970... somehow, though, I doubt that. My guess is that you are correct that they'd have to bump the speed of the new 15" Albook above what the current 15" Tibook is, and it makes sense they'd have to bump the 17" Albook's speed as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I thought I'd heard the stock of both the 867mhz and 1ghz TiBooks had been depleted in Canada except for what's already in the retail chain. Maybe I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> to allow users to have a MacOS 9 bootable laptop for another few months <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point. Yeah, right now the 15" Pow' and iBooks -- and the lone Dual 1.25 old school model -- are the only currently shipping models that can boot into OS 9. Apple should have kept the OS 9/OS X combo on Macs until the REAL next gen processor/architecture comes 'round. They screwed up.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Tomac observed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Apple should have kept the OS 9/OS X combo on Macs until the REAL next gen processor/architecture comes 'round. They screwed up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly !
What ever happned to selling the customer what he wants to buy and not just selling him what you want to sell?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts