Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dude, I love the look and sound of the new 12" G4 with DUAL monitor set up? This is it. Hmmm.. not feeling the lack of PC card slot apparently. Only found on 15" a nd 17". Max out @ 640 Megs... But still a hot unit. This 12" is the closest that I have seen to the Pismo, finally - in a G4. Holla!

The 17"? Waiting to see who the 1st one will be to break one in 3. Ever handled hematite? That's what I see happening. I had fears of fragility on the 15", and they will get crazier on a thinner 17". I would get no sleep. Hell, it might break in a rough car ride... No thanks. No thanks. But it is still a hot announcement. After seeing Sony trying to push their vers of a PB a while back. Anyhow, comments welcomed.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I find that the 17" Powerbook G4 is the hottest peice of hardware currently available. Now THAT"s screen real-estate!

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
The 17"... from the photos and video, and from reading the specs, yeah - I'd be scared to death of splitting that puppy in half. Does the aluminium compound they used become fragile at low (or -gasp- high?) temperatures?

Remember when the first Titanium came out - there was enough flex in the machine to separate the battery contacts.

The 17" TiPB is also rather.. dare i say, "ungainly"? And the keyboard seems an awfully long way back from the front... like, mega-wrist-rests.

Well... gotta get my hands on one to "size it out" in the real world...

M.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Hey Cubamark, grow your hands

You raise a good point though since the first Ti's were problematic and really only sorted with the first revision. They still didn't fix the flakey paint problem though which is, I guess, one of the reasons for the new finish to the Al (no paint-a to flake-a). That said, I don't think my techno lust can hold out for the first rev of the Al. I was all set to buy the GHz Ti since that was a significant revision. I travel a lot and love the big screen of the Ti. And my screen is the older, lower res, less bright version. The 17" version must be a dream for movies. I think the double latch and the back hinge have a lot to do with adding torsional strength. The Al skin is probably thicker than the wafer thin Ti skin which will help keep things in place. That said, there's no doubt that the larger powerbooks need a lot of tlc and cannot be thrown around.

All in all, these are great products but they also reflect the corner that Apple is in. The one area where the G4 is more than a match for Intel iron is in portables. Apple couldn't release faster processors cos there aren't any (minor speed bumps in Feb aside). Their profits on the laptops are bigger than desktops. Their commodity prices for 17" screens will be helped by putting into two killer products. The rest was gravy.

Also, the release of Firewire800, integrated Bluetooth and Airport Extreme is not going to help sales of the desktops until they incorporate these technologies. Even though they are not yet mainstream (you can't buy a FW800 drive yet and for most people 802.11g is not going to help them suck bits any faster through their cable/DSL connection), they are future proof and will become de facto. There will have to be a Feb revamp of the desktop lines (slot loading 1 GHz iMac, bumped Pros) to build in these ports and sockets.

I tried to order Keynote but the Apple Canada web site has no purchase button (unlike AppleStore USA). They must be working out how to convert our sliding $....

Oh, and I like Safari. Definately a work in progress but its got some very neat OS X integrations that make it slicker to work into other flows and applications. Microsoft will probably never bother upgrading IE again (oh dear, how sad, nevermind).

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
The 17" Powerbook is a niche product sort of the Hummer of the portable crowd. It will do well in certain categories and is big time bragging rights for Apple. Let's face this thing is BIG

You going to crank that open on a plane - you better be flying biz class+ or have tolerant seatmates.
For presentations and portable edit suites it's a killer - what a workspace. :eek:
But the gem is the 12" - long overdue. Dual monitor so the screen real estate is not an issue at home and it's a real portable. This is easily a Cube successor with even better use range.
So much better than the 14" iBook. We are going to build a lot of very neat graphic, audio and video suites around this baby.
Apple sure has a superb portable line up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
933 Posts
17" PB - WOW! This is the long rumoured "Cinema Book". Still the sheer opulence of this machine makes me worried that Apple is taunting the gods. What will the price be for Steve's hubris? Will they turn him into a beetling M$ programmer working on the latest version of Messenger?

Or perhaps Steve is still as out of touch with the masses as he was when he approved the Cube. Cast Steve as Marie-Antoinette (with a little poetic licence) "Let them have their cake and eat it too!". Yes, yes I know, this is not targeted at the "masses" but the sales projections behind the Cube was predicated on "masses" of "power-users" willing to pony up the cash to buy one.

'Course I'll be schlepping over the the Woodget lab to ogle/fondle JW's when it arrives (provided I'm allowed get within fondling range
).

Now the 12"" book, there's a sexy beast. I was recently wondering about replacing my Ti 550 with a 12" iBook/Combo-Drive but boy, the Super-Drive equipped Al-Book looks like a perfect jewel of Apple engineering to me.

Was reading through the tech specs on the two machines found a few interesting tidbits:

Anyone notice that the 12 and 17 are both running ATA 100 drives now? Both using DDR memory? That only the 12" has three speakers - stereo and a mid range booster?

Best keynote since the introduction of the original Ti IMO (too bad that I'm not shopping for a new machine now like I was then). ... sigh I wonder what my 550 would fetch on eBay?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Is it just me or does the 12'' Ti replace the 2400c. There were some 2400c fans that did like the iBook due to upgrade ability. Well with the 12'' Ti we have a new winner.

That is my favorite of the bunch, by FAR. I am buying a 800 mhz 12.1 because I can not afford the new one. But I will be saving for it.

Finally a SUPER portable G4.
Bye Bye G4 digital audio, hello Tibook. with dual monitors.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I dont think that I would go for the 17, but with all the new features i dont know if I could still go for the 15s'.

One thing that he didn;t mention, and no one here seems to have noticed is that the 17 and the 12 in powerbooks have DDR RAM! Granted, it is probably still the half [butted] implementation (the spec page doesn;t list a system bus speed), but still an important step forward. The 17" model even has DDR 333 (aka PC2700).

DDR+BlueTooth+802.11g+backlit keyboard+high res screen+not too heavy = All that I want! If they make a 15" version I'll jump on it (well, maybe not jump, money doesnt grow on trees) but for now my lust is directed at the 17.

the 12 is basically the G4 iBook we have all been waiting for, I can;t wait till we have those little suckers in stock!

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there's a serious lineup @ Apple right now. The front court is real. Lot of good starters (G4 PBs) and the bench players are all capable (G3 iBooks). This will be a hot season. I'm not one for 1st revs, but I'm so diving in!!!

How do I feel if I just bought the 1Ghz Ti last month (like some muchacho I know)?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I bought the 15 inch 867 when it was first released, and the announcements yesterday wouldn't have changed my purchasing decision. The 17" is more then I could justify spending and the 12" model's screen real estate is smaller then I wanted. Sure I'd like the DDR RAM, Airport Extreme and built in Bluetooth for future compatibility, but I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More a situation where I feel that the 1Ghz Ti and the 17" seem to be as financially taxing. The 867 is a great deal still. But there is a big jump when going to La Ultima Titanium.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coyote:
Well, I bought the 15 inch 867 when it was first released, and the announcements yesterday wouldn't have changed my purchasing decision. The 17" is more then I could justify spending and the 12" model's screen real estate is smaller then I wanted. Sure I'd like the DDR RAM, Airport Extreme and built in Bluetooth for future compatibility, but I'm not going to worry about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
With the release of the 17" PB, we may just see the return of the old briefcase! Then, trenchcoats and fodoras (sp) and a return to a 40 hour workweek. Next would be more commuter trains with waitresses. I see it all now, Steve is secretly transporting us back to the 1950's. (he started with coloured plastics, like the old coloured tuperware)

Seriously, my partner uses a laptop at her work as a desktop and brings it home at night. This is what I see as the future of the desktop/work computer.
The towers will be used by graphics,music, etc professionals only.
Robert

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL.. i was thinking of this too. I wonder why Apple soes not make a big push into the access. Market. They make the oddest form factors, and should have the bags for'em. I mean, I thought getting a bag for the Ti was a challenge (and partly reason why I did not get one), but this new Ti is crazy. you'll need that matching Samsonite case for for it. So much for portable.

BTW, tons of people are working on music using only Tis/powerbooks. The tower is the one who may be slowly feeling the erosion like an older pyramid.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert:
With the release of the 17" PB, we may just see the return of the old briefcase! Then, trenchcoats and fodoras (sp) and a return to a 40 hour workweek. Next would be more commuter trains with waitresses. I see it all now, Steve is secretly transporting us back to the 1950's. (he started with coloured plastics, like the old coloured tuperware)

Seriously, my partner uses a laptop at her work as a desktop and brings it home at night. This is what I see as the future of the desktop/work computer.
The towers will be used by graphics,music, etc professionals only.
Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
DDR+BlueTooth+802.11g+backlit keyboard+high res screen+not too heavy = All that I want! If they make a 15" version I'll jump on it (well, maybe not jump, money doesnt grow on trees) but for now my lust is directed at the 17.
--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, when they upgrade the 15" with the new stuff I think I'll trade in my Pismo for a 15" too.

Alot of people were clamouring for a beast like the 17"... most notably people who want to replace their desktop with a laptop and people in the graphics business. Basically Apple gave the users what they wanted... a 17" beast and a 12" subnotebook.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I think the 12 inch model is one of the best laptops I ve seen spex for with out trying it.
The price for the superdrive model is very compelling with a small external monitor
It rerally looks like two lines of powerbooks , I would guess the 15 incher will be updated to match the others soon
I think the 12 inch is a better buy than the 15.
I noticed you can get the gigabook with no superdrive for 4179, which is also tempting.
This most diverse lineup of laptops Apple has ever had, I can see the g4 gradually trickling into the ibook line by summer MW.
What say all, is this the last cycle for the G3, I give it 6 months.
Mark

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh, that 17" is sooo nice. Sitting in Via1 on the train to Toronto, the 15.2 gets oggled by the Windows masses, but to have the 17" would knock their socks off.

As for the battery/flex problem, do you really think the engineers didn't have making sure that didn't happen again as a design goal? I'm sure they did.

Anodized aluminum vice painted TI as the construction material: it takes about a 12 - 18 months to design a computer, they had that paint glitch in their sites! But yet, I've had 2 Ti Powerbooks and none of them ever had any sort of paint flaking or cracking. Maybe it's because I had them in a decent portable computer bag...

This is version 4 of the Ti form factor, so lets give the engineers their fair shake, because people learn from past experiences. And really, they have fixed the glitches from one version to the next.

I wonder what my 667Mhz (DVI) will fetch? Look out CPUsed when you get your stock of 17" in...

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts