Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting - I sent my passport application in via registered mail on Jan. 17, & finally received my passport (whew!) on April 27. In the interim, I had attempted to phone the passport office several times, & each & every time got the "queue is full" response. I wrote to my MP, who informed me they & other BC constituency offices were spending upwards of 50% of their time responding to passport application inquiries & complaints - to no avail. They suggested I write directly to Peter McKay's office, which I did (& received no reply or acknowledgement whatsoever).

I also was told by my MPs office that the passport "department" is now effectively "privatized"(my word) & must recover costs through applicatioin fees - wouldn't be quite as disgusting a concept for a govt. service if they actually ran efficiently and delivered their service in a reasonable time frame & were responsive to inquiries.

Good luck to you, and don't make any travel plans until lthat passport is in your hands.

·
Registered
867 Posts
RickTheChemist & MacFury - not everyone lives in a metropolitan core where they have access to applying in person. I would gladly have applied in person if it didn't require a 10-hour drive to get there …

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
I paid an extra $10 that would allow me to pick it up, instead of having it mailed to me, but that only cut out the mailing time.

The Passport Office is experiencing a monstrous volume of passport applications in preparation for the U.S. border crossing initiative that may or may not be passed. I suspect the Passport Offices are a bit leery of hiring extra staff in the interim just to deal with a temporary situation--as appropriate as hiring extra staff might be. Apparently, the initial overload is already becoming lighter.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I paid an extra $10 that would allow me to pick it up, instead of having it mailed to me, but that only cut out the mailing time.

The Passport Office is experiencing a monstrous volume of passport applications in preparation for the U.S. border crossing initiative that may or may not be passed. I suspect the Passport Offices are a bit leery of hiring extra staff in the interim just to deal with a temporary situation--as appropriate as hiring extra staff might be. Apparently, the initial overload is already becoming lighter.
I disagree. I've got a friend who works in the Tax office in Sudbury. They regularly hire extra staff during the tax return season to handle the extra volume.

This was poor planning. I've found that in most cases, privatization results in horrible service... until the renewal date for the contract is near. Then they become perfect in order to get the contract renewed. Of course we have no idea what conditions were put into this contract, but I would have hoped that the government would have insisted on a level of service with penalties imposed if the service doesn't meet the level.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
Oakbridge: Actually, I have never experienced faster line-ups and better service than in this passport application. I really believe it is the uncertainty over the U.S. situation that's created a run on passports.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Oakbridge: Actually, I have never experienced faster line-ups and better service than in this passport application. I really believe it is the uncertainty over the U.S. situation that's created a run on passports.
Oh I agree, some of the responsibility has to be accepted by those of us that have all of a sudden woken up and realized that either for air travel the date has passed, or for automobile travel the date is fast approaching.

If you've experienced better service then perhaps the system is working. I was commenting more on the lack of phone people. I agree with the earlier posters, a government site should give citizens a method of talking to a live voice.

And I also agree with the poster who had a 10 hour drive to reach the nearest office so was forced to apply by mail. There should be a benefit to those who do apply in person, but the difference in service between in-person applications and mail applications shouldn't be as wide as it appears to be.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
Oakbridge: I spoke to someone at the City of Toronto who explained to me that civil servants there congratulate each other for creating circular phone and web contact pathways that lead nowhere. Not being able to speak to someone within 15 minutes is pretty inexcusable I agree.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
What is a "web contact pathway"?
Call phone number which suggests you can get info on the web. Visit web page which leads to other web pages, which branches out to sub-pages, which branch out to PDFs, which contain lists of contact phone numbers. Dial phone number. Nobody answers. Call is forwarded to original phone message.

Hurray!

·
Registered
358 Posts
One of the lucky families over here.

My wife took her application in along with my two kids' and she was only there for half an hour or so. Five business days later (with no extra fee paid) the passports were all here.

I took my stuff in last week and was under 15 minutes in and out. They said that it would be delivered to my door on June 5.

This is all in the KW passport office. All applications were done online. Might be worth the drive. ;)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
One of the lucky families over here.

My wife took her application in along with my two kids' and she was only there for half an hour or so. Five business days later (with no extra fee paid) the passports were all here.

I took my stuff in last week and was under 15 minutes in and out. They said that it would be delivered to my door on June 5.

This is all in the KW passport office. All applications were done online. Might be worth the drive. ;)

I had a similar experience at the Mississauga Passport office. In and out in 20min, passport arrived via registered mail in 5 days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts