Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought and installed a 60 GB HD.Great, so far. It's a slave HD, BTW.

I've read stuff where it's been said that drives should be partitioned as it makes it easier to recover lost data or something. True?

And, are there any other reasons to do so? It will be used primarily as an audio drive for doing digital audio on a Beige G3. It will have OS 9 on it as a backup , plus a bit of assorted junk.

Thanks.

P.S.-This thing is SOOO quiet!!! It's a Western Digital 7200 RPM I bought at the Future Shop yesterday for $70 after rebates. I'm really tempted to run out tomorrow and get another one for the boot drive.If anyone's looking for a HD, the obnoxious salespeople are worth putting up with for 5 minutes...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have 2x 120 GB WD in my G3. I agree; super-quiet and *way* faster then the original scsi.

Partioning is definitely a good idea. When I installed my first 120 GB I didn't partition it. Within weeks data was going missing because the branch structure was getting too big. I could only recover by using recovery software. After I partitioned the problem went away.

For a drive that size I'd recommend an even split so you have 2 partitions.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
You need to partition the boot drive on a beige G3 to run OS X - the entire OS X installation must be contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, and partitioning is the only way to make sure that this will be the case.

If the drive isn't an OS X drive you can suit yourself about partitioning. It isn't required, and failing to do it won't cause any problems.

I personally have three partitions on my G4's 80 GB drive, but it's just for convenience and organization - it could also be one big partition for OS X, OS 9 and everything else. In fact, that's the way Apple ships new Macs. It really boils down to personal preference.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I always like to have multiple partitions so I can have multiple boot drives. It's a little tricky on a beige due to the X boot needing to be in the first 8G. You can make two 4G drives for OSX, but thats a little small for a full X install if the upgrades keep getting larger. With two X drives you can use one to experiment with upgrades before you apply them to your main working drive. OS9 drives are even easier since they don't have the first 8G limit and they can be directly copied.
Multiple boot drives also give you the ability to boot from another drive to run repair utilities if something goes wrong on your primary boot drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'l go for 2x30 GB partitions for now. No plans to use X.

Does it matter which partition I put the OS on?

Thanks.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have never had a partition on any drive that I've ever owned, and so far (knock on wood) I havn't had a problem. My main reason is that what if I run out of room on one partition? I have a second drive for video editting and backup. If I made one partition for backup, and one for editting, how much should I make each? Its a 80 Gig drive, and I just backup my my documents, so the backup (right now) is under 5 gigs. I also use this drive for Photoshop and other programs cache. So what if my video partition runs out of space as I'm importing, and all I need it like 1 gig, which I have more than enough free under my backup partition. And you can't move the partitions once they are created, so I would hate to have to back up 30 gigs of video. Idealy, I guess, a RAID setup would be best, maybe with a stripe and mirror hybrid setup (RAID 10 or something?) Anyway, I'm rambling, but yeah, partition is good, I've just never done it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Actually The Great Waka, you can repartition without wiping the info, at the moments its a gruelling process in the Terminal, but in 10.3, its part of Disk Utility. Thank you OS X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts