Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: Maxtor vs. Western Digital

Now that I'm going to have all this extra HD real estate, does anyone have a good partioning scheme for an 80gb + drive?

I am currently running 9.2.2 and want to get 10.3 (software transition has been slow...)

I primarily work with PhotoShop and Illustrator. I also store large quantities of images.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
Small partition first for PS to play in the fastest part of teh drive 2 gigs is fine.
Then a system partition maybe 20 gigs the rest for data/major apps.
That's our normal setup for graphics. You might want to put 9.2 on the data partition as it then allows a boot if the X partition gets squirrely and vice versa. :cool:
This gives you speed and safety.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean a partition of 20gigs for the system (OSX)/ 2 gigs for PS/ then wide open for everything else? Should systems have their own partitions? (1 for Panther/ 1 for 9.2.2)

Is it acceptable to keep 10 and 9 apps and files together on one partition?

(obviously I've never been clear on the partition thing)
Also, where is the fast part of the drive?
Thanks in advance.

mj

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
Put the 2 gig partition first that's important for speed

System next and that can have both X and 9 or just X and all your apps.

Then Data which can also have 9 on it ( 9 is small it can generally go anywhere ) and your OS9 applications.
I too prefer to keep 9 away from X but there is no need for a separate partition unless 9 is your main day to day OS. If that's the case them put X on the data partition.
If you are very new to X and want to be able to eliminate it then do indeed set it's own space but don't be stingy X wants to breathe. :cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
A 2G scratch disk can be conservative if you are working with large files for print. A good rule of thumb has always been to calculate about 5 x the file size you are working on for scratch disk space.

If you have thee 175MB files open at once or one 500MB file, you've blown the 2G ceiling. Also, consider that Illustrator may also use this scratch disk at the same time, if you so choose. If you do a lot of high end Graphic work, consider giving yourself a bit more wiggle room.

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
You have to take into account RAM and drive space and the rule of thumb is 5 x the file size but a tad more wiggle is fine.
The trick is to direct PS to overflow on the next fastest partition which will be Boot so the first fast 2 gig space is left empty for the PS playground.
We really don't take Illustrator scratch into account and you may have a point there. Not sure of how it utilizes the drive.

BTW we are delivering our first DP 2.0 G5 with 8 GIGS :eek: of RAM on Monday. Now that's a PS playground - a 320 RAID as well just to polish the machine. :D

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 gigs of RAM - yikes

Ok, not to keep flogging this one but...a few more questions.

I plan on working with both OS9 and 10 until I have all my software in place so I will be switching a lot.

- Does each partition need a system folder?

- Can I keep all my apps (9 & 10) in a system-less partition?

- Should I put all my files (9 and X/ image and otherwise) in a system-less partition?

- I was thinking originally of:
- scratch
- 9 only
- Panther
- Apps
- everything else

Would this work? Is there a better way?

Thanks,

mj

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
You are getting too cluttered and you'll end up short of space eventually in one of them and then it gets really nasty to redo.
There should always be 20% space free on a volume.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now here's a question:

I have a 60 gig HD and am about to buy either a new 80 or 120 gig.

I need the second HD mainly for saving music and graphic files and was thinking of putting a back up OS on it as well.

Should I go back and partition my main hard drive to get better performance? What would be the best partitioning scheme I could use for the master 60 gig and the slave 120 gig?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts