1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45 days in the slammer.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2007/05/04/hilton-paris.html

Arrives at court late

Paris Hilton arrived at the courthouse 10 minutes after the scheduled 1:30 p.m. start time of the hearing.
On Jan. 15, Hilton was pulled over by California Highway Patrol.

Officers informed her that she was driving on a suspended licence and she signed a document acknowledging that she was not to drive, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

As well, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies stopped Hilton on Feb. 27 and charged her with violating her probation. Police said she was pulled over at about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off.
Defence attorney Howard Weitzman said he would appeal.

"I'm shocked, I'm surprised and really disheartened in the system that I've worked in for close to 40 years," Weitzman said.

He said the sentence was "uncalled for, inappropriate and bordered on the ludicrous.

"I think she's singled out because of who she is," Weitzman said.
Is that Johnny Cash I hear singin'?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Good, celebs and sports figures have been getting a slap on the wrist for too long, no one should be above the law. Showing up late is just arrogant and disrespectful, she deserves what she gets, and hopefully it wont be like staying at a Hilton.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
JJ, 45 days are, in my opinion, still a "slap on the wrist". From what she has done in her car the past couple of years, if you or I had done this we would be in jail for at least two years.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
It saddens me to see a young woman with such vast resources who appears to be so naive and uneducated, or perhaps just plain stupid, waste her life in this way.

Perhaps placing her in a real, hard time jail, even for 45 days will snap her into reality. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Perhaps placing her in a real, hard time jail, even for 45 days will snap her into reality. We shall see.
Perhaps she will do a reality show from prison. She'll get a lot of mileage out of the experience either way. Publicists know how to make lemonade, if you know what I mean.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I'm not sad. Frankly I don't care. When you're stupid, stupid things happen to you. When you live a public life and are stupid, stupid things happen to you publicly. I find this kind of stupidity easy to ignore.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Perhaps she will do a reality show from prison. She'll get a lot of mileage out of the experience either way. Publicists know how to make lemonade, if you know what I mean.
Might happen sooner than we think, her side kick Nicole isn't fairing too nicely in the eyes of the law either.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I'm not sad. Frankly I don't care. When you're stupid, stupid things happen to you. When you live a public life and are stupid, stupid things happen to you publicly. I find this kind of stupidity easy to ignore.
Exactly my sentiments. In fact, I even resent the fact that I know the name of this person or have heard about her public nonsense. I wonder why so many other people seem to care so much about her, or Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, etc.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Exactly my sentiments. In fact, I even resent the fact that I know the name of this person or have heard about her public nonsense. I wonder why so many other people seem to care so much about her, or Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, etc.
Ditto! Especially the part about Jackson, Spears, et al.

Couldn't give a rat's a$$ about any of them or their exploits. This obsession with celebrities is mind boggling.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Exactly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Paris Hilton's sole claim to fame (aside from her idiotic acts in public) is an accident of birth: She inherited a whole crapload of money. A better argument for confiscatory inheritance taxes would be harder to come up with.

Of interest to this Canadian forum, and certainly an issue this would-be Canadian has studied, is that if she was in fact busted for drunk driving, she is inadmissible to Canada. That's right, they will turn her around at the border.

Of course, she could always apply for a "Minister's Permit" to enter Canada. Given her wealth (and the current Canadian government's fetish for money-at-all-cost), it would probably be granted. Similarly situated, I would be SOL and would have to go through the arduous and expensive "rehabilitation" process. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with excluding drunk drivers and other vermin from the country as long as the laws are applied evenly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts