Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will convert parallel to usb. Customer has older parallel laser printers, doesn't want to get rid of them.

I thought maybe that if they could convert with an adapter that they might work. Yes it's a windoz user converting to Mac :D

I've never heard of such a thing, but you never know what you'll find on this board

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not a very savvy user, hence the switch to Mac. Trying to make it easier for them. They just destroyed the other computers, mashed registry, more demo and trial installs than I've ever seen. Pretty funny stuff. A full format and clean install lasted about a month.

I should have motioned that they are using a new iMac, so inserting a card is kind of a non option.

The server idea had crossed my mind, but like I said, it would be down in a matter of minutes :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are pretty lowend laser printers. Brother something or other, I foget the model number right now.

Would it work with them? Or am I reading it right and that it is only a PS solution.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
the only PS i see is:

1. UPS - United Parcel Service

2. PS in the part number is for Print Server

I use a similar device to print to an EPSON 3000 and EPSON 9000 that DO NOT HAVE ETHERNET

Please read the entire page on the link.

$52 U.S. + $5 shipping - pretty cheap solution if u ask me.

how else u gonna print from an iMac to a parallel printer?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a belkin Parrallel to USB adapter. It works great. I use it with my HP 4ML. My printer is rated for 4ppm but wil the belkin parrallel->usb adapter I get about double that,

·
Registered
762 Posts
I also have a parallel to usb cable. I switiched from Windows to a Mac 6 months ago and figured that my Windows printers and scanners were useless, they work perfect. But you need to realy look hard to find the right cable for the printers, some are only designed for Epson or HP.
The one I have will work with just about every printer but only in OS 9.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, thanks for all the input and suggestions. I like the cable solution the best and will try and find one that may work with these printers.

Failing that I guess we are looking at the print server, it really isn't that much money.

They could always go back to Windoz... :eek:

Just kidding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know where one could but a Creative Solutions cpi/pci parallel card?

This is for someone else that has a parallel printer and a G3 B&W.....

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The Parallel to USB adapters work, provided that the printer is supported in MacOS. This may involve a little experimentation, but can work.

For example, I use a Hewlett Packard color laser driver to print to my color inkjet (HP 1600CN with Ethernet & Postscript). This printer is about 6 years old and HP hasn't built a new driver for OSX or WinXP, and doesn't plan to either.

The other option is Strydent's PowerPrint, which has been around for about a decade. They support a huge number of PC-only printers and include the required cable in the box. This software was originally developed by a Vancouver company, but was sold to UK-based Strydent about 4 years ago.

Finally, Ethernet options exist for many printers. Some Ethernet hubs/switches/cable-DSL routers have Parallel ports built in which will allow any networked computer to print to the attached parallel port printer.

Strydent SW PowerPrint
Adapters for certain Epson and HP printers here:
Mantek Canada

1 - 15 of 15 Posts