Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to keep my work identity and my Mac user identity seperate. An EhMac user saw my user name today at work and asked if I posted on EhMac and for some reason I said "No".

I didn't want to intentionally decieve, I just really consider myself a Mac user first and didn't want my work identity to interfere.

I should have said yes and i apologize that I didn't. I had a split second to decide and I made the wrong decision.

You know who you are, if you read this please msg me an I will explain further.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Yeah! I like to keep it separate too!
Nothing to be ashamed of, but it does keep my free flow of ideas removed from my every day life.

I commend you on your confession RubberGorilla.

But alas it is hard to keep a secret identity. :cool:
(Re: Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and Pokaroo too!)

·
Registered
247 Posts
yea, i also feel it's easier to speak out when you're anonymous. i even used to hide my age so people won't underestimate my opinion. but now it's mostly out, andi kinda miss my anonymity. ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I have to disagree.

As a background, I teach the Cluetrain course here in Canada. The authors of this wonderful work have given me permission. It is very cool.

In this thinking the internet should promote reality. I see the days of the BBS as a sign for how this "World of Ends" is supposed to work. Aliases, phony personas and hiding behind pseudonyms just can't be a good idea.

For the Net to be real. We have to be real.

Companies online hiding behind "[email protected]" is the same as us hiding behind aliases. Companies have to allow the "unwashed teeming millions" access to people. People behind "Fort Business."

So I ask you by hiding who we are ... are we creating our own fort?

Now, a nickname is not what I am talking about. If you are who you say you are and want to be called "Big Mamma" cool. But the idea of being something you are not has damaged this thing called the Net far more than SPAM, pop-ups and other crap.

My 2¢

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Not here... but I have had someone try to use my information to take advantage of a business opportunity...

Fortunatly he was as subtle qas a brick through a glass window... My client contacted me immediatly....

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I have had more than a few people ask me "Are you MacDaddy" and it always seems to amaze me that they know that.
I don't really care either way, my name is on the internet regardless, so why not help it spread some more!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I always try and keep my online identity and my meatspace identity separate. For some reason, though, I'm not doing very well....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice Blog jfpoole

did you skin it yourself?

I love MT

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never got into personas and stuff online.

When I first started getting "online" (the wild BBSs of North Bay, Ontario) I was on the cusp of adolescence, where I was learning who I really was. It was hard enough trying to grow into my own skin and find out my true identity without complicating things and making up another one.

I guess it just carried on from there. I act and communicate the same way in Meatspace as I do in Cyberspace.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Sorry people, but if you don't have the brass necessities to use your real name, I have little sympathy. I do, and do so proudly. Even my age is in my profile. Speak your mind, and do it like a man is all I have to say.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm. Well I think the decision to put your identity out there or not is a personal decision. It's great that you have your real name and age, but why would most people care?

There are a lot of reasons why I don't have anymore info than I have out there and not having enough "brass" isn't one of them.

Anyway I hope the person that this open letter was addressed to understands why I would want to keep these two identities seperate and accepts my apology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts