Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over on Apple.com looking at X.3 and really can't see what makes it worth 200$.
There are some improvements but what is there that people will pay that much to get?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Not sure what it's really worth, but thankfully UNB in NB here sells it $80.00 off the normal price for people in Education. I'll pay whatever it costs for it, regardless of what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
$200??? Are they out of their freaking minds!?! :mad:

That is an absolutely unacceptable price.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've been using the Developer Preview version of Panther since Monday, and all I can say is that I'll probably end up buying the retail version of Panther the day it comes out.

While it's not the leap forward that Jaguar was, it certainly adds a lot of improvements, especially ones of interest to software developers.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
JFP, Pls share... would love to read more testimony...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sputnik,

I too have been debating if Panther is worth it. Certainly to the power users who need Expose or iChat AV etc.....Myself I have no need for Expose. The new Finder is kind of cool, but not necessary for my needs. Depends on what you're needs are. Fast user switching? I won't be needing that feature. I'm not a heavy user of Mail so I don't really need the updated Mail program. File Vault is an excellent addition. I never have LARGE PDF's files to scroll at MACH 1 so that is something I won't need. Font Book, once again I am not a professional arts or individual who needs this option. Built in Faxing? Already have an excellent Fax program. iDisk cool feature but I don't have a .Mac account. As you can see there are a few other Pro features that I would not use. Panther looks like an update mostly for the Power user and those that work in the professional field. Who knows I may end up getting it anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
$200 is what a Canadian has to pay. Blame the loonie, not Apple. It's what we had to pay for Jaguar, and so it goes.

I'll probably end up selling my copy of Jaguar to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Power users for sure.
I want to have it as much as the next guy but I think they are getting a little out of hand with the whole OS thing.
I'll get beat for this but how good can UNIX be if it requires multiple updates and repeated releases all the time?This debate came around the first time Jag was called a "New Version"
This should be an update also.
Charge me 60$CAN or something.More than happy to pay,but 200$ for a few changes..... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Maybe we should organize an e-mail plea to Apple to at least provide incentive to those who've already purchased Jaguar to get some sort of rebate when they purchase Panther.

It would be nice to shave at least another $20 off or something.

·
Registered
363 Posts
does anyone know if there will be a "panther for teachers" program like there was with jaguar?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here we go again!!!

Any carpenters out there? Painters? I need a new deck and a room painted. Oh by the way, you want $35 an hour, I'm giving you $4.25 because I don't think your product is worth it. Or better yet, watch it because your paint and lumber are going to be stolen!

If you can't afford it right now, save your pennies now so you can buy it. Don't think the new features are worth it, don't buy it. No one's forcing you...

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not buying another Mac until Panther's either pre-installed or there's a free up-to-date program. I'm guessing that Power Mac G5 buyers will be getting free upgrades to 10.3 whenever it becomes available -- they'll likely ship will the last pre-installed version of Jaguar (10.2.7). Whatever new PowerBooks released in the future will probably be allowed a free update to Panther too -- unless Apple's SUPER CHINTZY.

$200 more for Apple's "mistakes" this year is unacceptable for me. I'm not going to "give in" until the hardware's up-to-snuff and the software runs BLAZING fast. Apple shipped underpowered "trasheesh" hardware with almost "beta-like" software for too long -- I gave in like a coward -- they must give back to users this year BIG TIME. Good things happening with the G5 and Panther -- but it's taken a LONG TIME.

I demand performance from Apple this year. I'd "sell my soul" for a G5 in the PowerBook form-factor. Next year I presume. If the 7457s make it into the PowerBooks this year and match/exceed Centrino's performance, I might pick one up.

I'm not paying TOP DOLLAR for inferiority anymore. Apple MUST "give in" to the consumer and not vice-versa anymore.

Darn tootin'!!!!

:D

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I don't have a problem paying for something when it's justified. Jaguar IMHO was a justified $200 upgrade -- security, speed and stability were addressed with it's release. Judging from the Apple site, Panther doesn't address nearly the same level of improvement as Jaguar did (their site only addresses approximately 15 or so improvements... so where are the other 85?).

And no offense... but I don't believe anyone thinks Apple should knock 80% off the cost. And the last time I checked, Canadians still have to work harder to buy the same products as the Americans. Can you blame us for being a little cranky about the price?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the whole point of a "Discussion Board" is to discuss.
We are all aware of out option to buy or not buy.

There is a difference between getting a whole new deck and just sealing it with weather seal.One is an improvement on the base,on is an entirely new base WITH seal.See the difference?
That's why X.3 isn't a "New" OS.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
$200??? Are they out of their freaking minds!?!

That is an absolutely unacceptable price.

$200??? Would you prefer to go to windows, an UPGRADE to WXP is $299 (Included in that price are all the security, virus and update issues!)

Why do people always do this? (Everytime Apple releases a new product or update, the same debates on EVERYTHING) Take a look at Apple, a computer manufactuer that makes the software, the hardware, the webcam, the displays, the iPod, the music store, and with 5% of the market share!
How do expect them to keep cranking out all this awesome stuff without money?
If you want to stay current, your going to buy, they know you are, you know you are, I know you are. Why complain about it, as long as they keep pushing out quality products, mac users will buy them, and if that means paying a bit more for it, so be it, people will pay top dollar for a great product, otherwise people like Apple, Lexus, Cadillac, and other would be bankrupt and we would be forced to bow down to Bill Gates and his henchman who are worming their way into world domination.

We as people choose to be part of a Niche market, deal with it! Think it's to expensive, don't buy it, thats all I gotta say.

[/rant]

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Sorry notcied this after

Apple shipped underpowered "trasheesh" hardware with almost "beta-like" software for too long -- I gave in like a coward -- they must give back to users this year BIG TIME.

Have you seen a windows box latley? They have been shipping like this for YEARS and they have a bigger market share
Dam Sheeple :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Of COURSE Panther will be worth $200... if you want to stay current. What happens when 10.3.5 is released, loaded with even more goodies? And if Apple's claims of more speed are true, who wouldn't want a little of that?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think we went from is Panther worth $200 for what you get and will USE to how we shouldn't be complaining. Like I said earlier, the 15 out of the 100 improvements are for real POWER hungry users who:

1) Leaf through 1000's of PDF's a day and need the speed of Preview

2) Expose for Photoshop users, musicians who have like 16 windows open for doing things etc...

3) Mail faster and easier to consolidate your mail, great for the business user who deals with 100's of E-mail a day or more.

I could go on....... I never went out and got OS 10.0 or 10.1, they didn't meet my needs. Jaguar DID and DOES meet my needs just perfect. If I feel I will need Panther then I will fork out the $200 plus tax to get it
. I'm not one of those people that normally complains about Apple. Actually this would be the first time. I was just staying with the topic and justifying my needs for the OS. I don't think there is any harm in that.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
It's not a forced upgrade although it'll be almost essential for G5 owners. I don't think all of the features have been rolled in yet (or a release date would have been set). Moreover, there are plenty of discount opportunities. Maybe .Mac members will get a break, or 10.2 owners. In the grand scheme of things, other apps will be released that make use of 10.3 features and these will also act as incentives to be running it (there are lots of examples of cool software that only runs on 10.2 and above).

I'll be buying it (duh).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'de get Panther. If I had a faster Mac.
$200 sounds resonable to me, I paid $200 for WinXP and it's been my greatest pain in the butt i've ever had!! :mad:
$180 for Jaguar has been my Tylenol for the pain :D

I wish my cash situation would allow me to get a G5. :(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts