Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did a comparison on my system using XBench. I ran the test while running 10.2.8 and then again after I upgraded to Panther using just the Upgrade feature.

My system is a B&W G3 with a Sonnet G4/500/1mb CPU upgrade, 1gig RAM, 32mb ATP PCI Radeon card and a 60gig WD hard drive with 8mb cache.

Using 10.2.8 I got an overall score of 50.64.

Using Panther I got an overall score of 59.01.

This represents an increase of roughly 20%

I for one am pleased with the speed increase after installing Panther. See my results here

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I'm pleased with the responsiveness too, especially the HTML rendering in Mail.app.
And Expose is very snappy

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I first saw this from a link on MacBytes.com, I should have known better and checked here first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those results are awsome! Makes not feel so bad about just buying my ibook 900 just after the ibook g4's were announced. With Panther sounds like i'll be very satisfied with my ole g3's performance for a while.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
That's a great piece of work can I link to it in the next mailer???

Yeah speaking of iBooks we think the G3 iBooks with 512 caches are killer deals right now. Panther just makes them fly and most are eligible for the $29 upgrade. ;)

Now THIS is what X is supposed to be. Panther is a huge step forward both in speed and features.

Back to a G5 tonight after a short stint with dual 1.25. I thik I might miss the Radeon 9000 in the dual but the G5 overall is much nicer as a desktop warrior.

Anecdote
My daughter just switched from an 867 G4 2 meg L3 cache 64 meg video card on Jag to an iBook 900 512 L2 with Panther and the speed difference was hilarious.
She is just thrilled.
Even with the 867/64 meg vid horsepower on a 15" screen Jag was slooooo....wwww.
Panther flies on the iBook with the 1024x768 14" screen.
One happy girl. :D
One ...told ya so...Dad. :cool:

[ November 05, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Which one are you referring to, MacDoc? If you're referring to my tests, help yourself! I suggest grabbing it off my Rogers site, as I may yank it at any time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts