Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so the question I've been waiting an answer for is:

How much faster is Panther than Jaguar? (Generally speaking of course)

Has anyone seen any performance stats? Apparently people are noticing performance improvements, but what about benchmarks and stuf on various setupsf?

Anyone? Bueller?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Well, when my Sawtooth had its stock video card and 450 MHz processor, stock 10 GB hard drive and Jaguar, it managed an XBench score of 55.02.

With upgrades (800 MHz processor, Radeon 8500 video, 7200 rpm drive) in Jaguar it did 81.50.

With the same hardware and a shiny new install of Panther, the score is 90.67.

These scores are against a dual-800 Jaguar QuickSilver = 100.

So, I guess Panther makes at least my Mac substantially faster. More importantly, it vastly improves the "feel" - dock magnification is as smooth as syrup for example.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Yeah it "feels" much faster and the list of improvements is substantial.
Still don't like Jag.
Panther.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm glad people are happy with Panther for the most part. I ordered my copy from Apple earlier today out of good faith that it was a decent upgrade.

Now, just gotta get rid of my copy of Jaguar ;)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Panther is fine. The speed bump is slight, but what really noticeable is that everything has a smoother feel to it. Key improvements:

- Expose is just great;
- The finder sucks less than before (note below explains my mixed feelings);
- Desktop-enabled printing returns;
- Fast user-switching is really cool;
- Enhanced, super-charged file searching in the finder...it's really a big improvement.

Now for the bad news:

- Built-in networking in the finder is absolutely goofy. Sure, it's great for finding mounts, but it's far from friendly when it comes to offering an easy way to eject. I find I have to rigt click the darn thing over and over to make it work;

- Print sharing with Windows 98/ME...unh-unh not gonna happen;

- Default enabled journaling seems to be causing a squealing noise on the HDs of some Macs. Once you disable this feature, the noise goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts