Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have a date.

Guess what: bought 3 Macs this year, the last one around 25 September (actually delivered 3 October). Nice coupons...

So, if I upgrade to Panther, do I need to pay for each machine or is it a 'per user' licence?

Why isn't there a time-based upgrade path instead of this very short cutoff?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally, I am going to buy the OS X 10.3 Panther Family Pack which gives me 5 license for OS X.

Makes more sense than buying 3 boxed versions at $179 each.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Took me a while to find it on the UK site but it exists there too. Certainly better than the multi-user licence on the business site (only gives you $10 off per user).

Still pretty *irritated* that a new, post Paris Expo machine shouldn't qulify for a free upgrade :mad:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think it's tough too.

In the past two weeks, we've bought two new computers.
It would have been nice to wait, but we needed them now.

Definitely do the upgrade.

Now that they've released a date for Panther, others can wait for it.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey JT

Some hope...

Just went on Macbidouille (French Mac community) and the following text says that Apple will show flexibility for machines bought just after the Paris Expo. Here is the link if you can read French. Scroll down to the message which starts with:
- Les machines éligibles pour la mise à jour Panther - Lionel - 18:18:28

Probably worth a call to the Canadian Apple Store to check if the same applies.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
For those who don't read French, here is a rough translation of the link mentioned above. Grammar mistakes are their own, not mine.

- VertiGoGo

"We are re-running the news for more clarity.

We contacted Frederic Morel, Software Products Manager at Apple France.

Machines that will be eligible for the "free" update are:
- Computers purchased since October 8.
- Apple's online store says machines purchased after 16/08. It must mean delivered after 16/08, including all the G5s. To find out more: www.apple.com/fr/macosx/uptodate/

We then contacted the Apple Store. The conditions are the same. But they will make a commercial gesture by offering the update "free" to recent machine buyers. In general, this includes machines purchased since the start of the Apple Expo.

In order to get it (the update):
- Do not call! It is useless.
- Wait to receive your receipt!
- Then send a message with your coordinates, your web order number and the machine's serial number to [email protected]. Requests will be processed in a few days. We remind you again on their behalf. It's useless to call and tie up the phone lines, you will not get anything more."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.