Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was anyone else able to do a clean install with the upgrade disks from Apple?

I attempted to wipe my hard drive clean and then do a fresh install of Panther and it wouldn't allow me. It said it *couldn't see a copy of jaguar on the hard drive*

So I had to reinstall Jaguar and then do an upgrade install with Panther. :(

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
That would be why its an upgrade disk, wouldn't it?

The same way with Windows. You need a supported Windows version that will upgrade to. Imagine having to load Windows 95, then upgrade to 98 to upgrade to XP. Time consuming.

You can't do a clean install with those CDs. It may be cheaper, but IMHO its usually not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Pamela,

I also have the Panther upgrade CD's. I managed to do a clean install by doing the following:

1. Install Jaguar
2. Boot off of Panther install CD
3. Go through the first few menus (license agreement, etc)
4. When you get to the screen which asks you which drive to install Panther on, click your HD (green arrow will appear), then click "Options". Select "Erase & Create Filesystem", "Apple HFS (Journaled)".
5. Continue Install

... Sorry I can't remember the exact wording in the options menu, however that should do the trick. It esentially wipes the drive clean before installing Panther.

Cheers,
Darren

·
peek-a-boo
16,700 Posts
Actually in windows, you only need to insert the disk of your previous version of windows when the installer asks to verify you own it. You don't need to actually install it one by one. I wonder if there is a way to do this with Panther?
Then again, I'd imagine OS X would be better at upgrading itself then doing it with windows.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doh! That's what I thought network23canada. I didn't want to go through the time of seeing if that option really worked though. I assumed it was going to give me the same error message :( darn.

Well now I know for next time.

Sorry Chealion...I believe Groovetube is right. You don't have to install the previous version of windows. It just asks for the disk.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You mean I've been doing it the hard way? :mad: (I know feel like an idiot, thank goodness I only ever had to do it once).

And my comment before, for clean install wasn't complete. You can clean install as network23canada, showed you, but you need a previous installation of some sort on there, unless Apple has implemented the ability that you can just show you have the Jaguar CD. But Apple doesn't actively sell upgrade and full packages like Microsoft. Apple always sells the full ones and the upgrades go to those who Apple desmms should have got Panther with their machines (The new PB owners, G5 owners, and those who bought Jaguar just recently).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha Chealion.

Well why I asked this *seemingly* stupid question in the first place was because I saw the option that network23canada mentioned and I assumed that on an upgrade version that that option would be greyed out or not available. I shouldn't have assumed and I should have tested it. Damn lack of patience!! Got me again!

It wasn't really the issue of the hassle of having to install jaguar and then panther (time/hassle) it was more the issue that I wanted to get a clean install. I didn't just want to upgrade ontop of jaguar.

Like I said...now I know for next time :(

·
Registered
523 Posts
I recall when 10.1 came out some industrious person noted that the upgrade CD was slightly LARGER in size than a full install CD. Going on that hunch it was found that the only difference between the two was the upgrade CD had an obviously named file (may have been in the "package contents") that checked for a previous OS 10.0 install. By making a copy of the upgrade CD and deleting this file before burning the author was able to make a fully functional install CD.

Sounded to me like a legitimate way to do a clean install in half the time - unfortunately I had read this AFTER I did a clean install of OS 10.1 on every machine in our lab. Bummer. In disgust, I didn't save the URL with the information. Sorry.

Anyhow, If you are savvy enough and have to do several LEGAL Panther upgrades, it might be worth your time to see if you can "uncripple" a Panther upgrade disc to simplify your life. Virginia Tech, I'm looking in your general direction! ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet! Thanks for finding those. I'll see if I have some time this week to test it.
:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
No problem, Pamela.

I've been racking my brain to try and remember where I had read about the hack I described above. After some googling I came up with a slashdot article you should read.

A little more googling uncovered the fact that one could perform the same magic with a Jaguar upgrade CD.

I hope to hear back how you made out. I'm kinda curious if Apple has since covered their tracks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts