Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new scanner. I have a G4 867 DUAL
My current scanner only works in classic (too slow)
Any suggestions, keeping in mind that it must work with Panther, and scan
fairly quickly. Hopefully $200 CDN or less.
I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A USED SCANNER. Just brands and model numbers
that work well.
Thanks ahead of time for all of your input.
Russell

·
Registered
470 Posts
well, first off I'd say "buy my CanoScan 2400", like new and still under warranty

if you want new, and don't want to spend too much, check out the ~$100 CanoScan 3000F

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Any of the LIDE series Canon scanners will work fine.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I have read in MacWorld that the Canon line of scanners (not their printers) have "issues" in the latest OS X updates. There is something about these scanners not being able to do TWAIN connections as they could if hooked up to a computer with MS XP. I may be incorrect, but I have been looking for a OS X compatible scanner for slides. Epson Perfection series scanners look interesting. Any feedback on these scanners in light of questvideo's question?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dr. G

I have an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo scanner and it is easily the fastest most impressive image capture device I've ever owned. Unfortunately I've had to revert to Jaguar as an OS because the company has not seen fit to update the drivers.

In Panther, I had the option of bringing in pictures using Image Capture and then finding a convoluted method of saving the scans. With direct access to PhotoShop and the use of the included SilverFast Image Capture software denied my decision to return to Jaguar was pretty easy.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Old Dawg, that was the scanner Macdoc suggested, and now there is a newer one from Epson, the 3170 I believe. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
470 Posts
rick brings up an interesting point about USB and FW.

I did some comparisons with my Canon 2400 and the Epson 3200.

Both machines scan at the same speed in USB.
When the 3200 is connected to FW, big improvement.

A 100 Mb scan took 2 minutes on USB, and 30 seconds on FW. :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dr. G., you have my apologies and jtmac many thanks for stirring me to action.

I dumped all mention of Epson in the 10.3 library, reinstalled and restarted.

The black cat is back! My Epson 3200 is working as quickly and smoothly as it ever did in Jaguar, heck maybe faster. No more "... problem with the acquisition module interface" and no more "...there is no scanner installed"

Once again thank you jtmac. :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
old dawg - not sure why you can't run a 3200 in Panther. Mine runs fine with both epson scan and silverfast in 10.3

dr g - the canoscan 2400 I'm selling works great with OS9, 10.2, 10.3, Win2K, WinXP, basically every machine I've plugged it into. Maybe the MacWorld article is only referring to the new LIDE models? :cool:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Also.. the 3170 is a USB 2.0 compliant scanner.. the 3200 Photo and Pro use good old Firewire to transfer..

The 1670 is a good scanner also.. and the price point is a little bit lower.. depends what kind of res you are looking for..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Just one problem with Panther and the Canon scanner software - the two startup files that are installed by default not only interfere with the neat animation in fast user switching, they also cause a vast amount of unnecessary system activity by polling hardware every few seconds (check the Console and Top command in the Terminal). These problems go away if you just delete these two items via the Startup Items pane of the Accounts prefs pane. There's no need to hunt down the actual files.

You lose a tiny amount of unimportant (IMHO) functionality - the buttons on the front of the scanner don't work - big deal. I imagine that they will fix this eventually. In the meantime, it doesn't interfere with core functionality. As long as I can scan into Photoshop, I'm a happy camper.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought the Epson 1650 refurbed from Carbon Computing for $100 and it has been working smoothly under Panther. It has a nice high resolution (2400 dpi) and it very quick for 4x6 photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts