Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this on Mac Rumors:

MacBidouille reports that the next version of Mac OS X (10.3 aka Panther) will feature a new file system format akin to BeOS's file system.

Previously, it was reported that Dominic Giampaolo, a BeOS engineer was employed by Apple approximately one year ago, and it is presumed that his experience with BeOS's journaled file-system was applied towards Apple's current implementation of Journaling in Mac OS X. If this newest rumor is true, more BeOS file-system features may find their way into Mac OS X.

also:

MacBidouille also claims that Mac OS X 10.3 will feature significant performance boosts over 10.2.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I would hope for contiued performance and optimizing in 10.3 and beyond.
It really takes at least 4 years to get a particular OS varient into maturity.
Take 7.1, it was much improved over the almost unusable 1.0.
Then take 9.2.2 which was miles ahead of the first PPC MacOS 7.1.2 or something, and that took nearly 9 years.
We ve had OS X for about 2 years and I hope by next year it will be well along the way of maturity

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
What I am wondering is are they going to give us a totally new filesystem? I for one don;t like re-formatting and re-setting up my machine, but that is what it would take.

I guess we will wait and see.

--PB

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Apple has been amazingly silent about Panther. I guess they really managed to keep the lid tight on leaks after the WorkerBee and new PowerMacs fiasco.

My thoughts on Panther:

• 64-bit support for almost-ready PCC 970 CPUs
• More speed optimization
• Totally new journaled and database-driven file system (BeFS author was hired by Apple 1.5 years ago and has been kept in solitary confinement and thrown the occasional bit of food and told not to come out until he fixes HFS+ and the meta tag issue to leapfrog Longhorn). Heh heh.
• Quicktime 6.5
• Fancy new RendezVous thingies all over the place
• More brushed metal interface stuff where it doesn't belong (ugh).
• A totally re-written Finder with FULL multithreading (Coacoa?)
• The abolishment of the Spinning Pizza Wheel of Death™

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacGenius:

? A totally re-written Finder with FULL multithreading (Coacoa?)
? The abolishment of the Spinning Pizza Wheel of Death?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don;t think the finder is going to go Cocoa, because Carbon apps are still better performers (for an example, compare iMovie 2 to iMovie 3, and see the difference). Of course, they could find a way to speed up these laggin' cocoa apps.

Would you rather go back to the Spinning (NeXTStep holdover) CD? or the little wristwatch from OS 1? I like the beachball better than either of those alternatives.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
PB, I think he meant abolisment, as in you never see it anymore.

MacGenius, I think you have it covered quite well, except the 64bit portion, I don't agree with that.
And instead of QuickTime 6.5, I'm gunning for a new version of iSync, iCal and iChat.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
PB, I think he meant abolisment, as in you never see it anymore.

Correct, that is what I meant.

MacGenius, I think you have it covered quite well, except the 64bit portion, I don't agree with that.
And instead of QuickTime 6.5, I'm gunning for a new version of iSync, iCal and iChat.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, all signs point to Apple going 64-bit in the next version.

1. They have been SUPER-quiet about Panther
2. PPC970 chips are in production now as we speak
3. New motherboards for PowerMacs have been tendered for prodcution.

It doesn't make sense for them to use a 64-bit if they are not going to take advantage of it. Steve Jobs knows that the performance gap we are fighting under is a HUGE problem for Apple and they are working very hard to fix it. They are going to do it right and that means leapfrogging the competition and going to 64-bit on the pro level. Intel has no plans for comsumer 64-bit at this time, AMD does however but they are at the mercy of MS. Apple is the only company that can pull this off since they control the whole show.

Watch and see.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Hmmm ... most of the show, anyway. Haven't controlled Quark all that well though, have they?
Still, they did buy Emagic ... I wonder if this is related.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts